Customer reviews

South of the Border, West of the Sun
Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 September 2017
First Murakami book I read. Love his style of writing and his brilliant descriptions, he is a genius. His books make you want to read on although they are a bit on the dark side and the endings are a bit abrupt leaving the reader wondering. I am hooked on Murakami books now and will definitely read more. Sexually explicit and a bit depressing but the writing is good.
VINE VOICEon 6 March 2013
...but not Murakami's best. I did enjoy this tale of one mans love, confusion and borderline self- obsession, but I have to say, it is not the best story from Murakami. If you want a suitable introduction to his work (and by the large, it is excellent) then I would recommend Norwegian Wood a lot more. This book is simple (dare I say it semi-autobiographical?), and I found it easy to read and quick to finish, but it did not make me feel like Norwegian Wood did. I would still recommend it, but perhaps for a Murakami fan (like myself).
on 30 March 2017
Once I started reading I got through the book in a matter of days. Each step along of the way I was completely trapped in the feelings and emotions of our protagonist. Even though it hurt to read on at times there was a constant beauty that couldn't be ignored.
on 29 June 2017
This is definitely my favourite novel by Murakami so far. The writing is filled with passion and a kind of haunting nostalgia that is so easy to relate to.

would really recommend anyone to read this I didn't want it to finish !
on 18 March 2017
Husband, kept him quiet.
on 1 December 2015
amazing book and writer
on 17 July 2013
Perhaps my favourite Murakami to date. Beautiful,concise,crafted. Unsure how this could have made more impact on me,really.Totally wonderful. Too short.
on 7 March 2006
After reading Norwegian Wood, I found Murakami an author I would like to read much more of. After The Wind-up Bird Chronicle and The Elephan Vanishes, I have to admit South of the Border, West of the Sun is my favourite.
Only 200 or so pages, this book is one of the most touching love stories I have ever read, although at no point does it become overly sentimental.It mixes together fate, love, duty and choice and one man's dilemma between the life he knows and the love he longs for since his childhood.
Enigmatic, beautifully written and utterly brilliant.
on 2 March 2014
Dull-the sex scenes were the daftest I have ever read. His previous novels led me to expect something more imaginative
on 28 December 2016