Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Learn more Download now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now flip flip flip

Customer reviews

Sputnik Sweetheart
Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 December 2017
A wonderfully written book by one of my new favourite writers. The exact details of what happens to certain characters are unclear, but the sense of what one can take from the story is distinct, mainly due to the clarity of Murakami's prose. Recommended.
One person found this helpful
on 8 April 2014
This is the 2nd Haruki Murakami book I have read, the first being South of the Border West of the Sun which is a beautifully written and engaging. I had high hopes for Sputnik Sweetheart and for the most part I enjoyed it - right up until the crucial part of the storyline, from there it just seemed to lose it - at least it did for me.

The last couple of chapters - in my opinion - pointless and I would have preferred the story to have concluded after the Narrator "K" left Greece.

I will read more of Haruki's books as I find his writing style flowing and absorbing but I after Sputnik I admit that it's with trepidation that I will start the next one I have lined up which is IQ84
on 10 July 2013
Murakami is an excellent writer and I always enjoy his books. The weirdness tends to frustrate me a little, but I enjoyed this story a lot, even though it descended into a kind of dreamworld about halfway through. For me, his best book is Norwegian Wood, which is straight mainstream, but this one shared a lot of the similar themes and ideas while crossing that boundary from reality to non-reality. Still, I'll definitely read more of his books and I would recommend this one, particularly if you're a fan. It's also quite short, so a good introduction to his style if you've not read any of his work before.
on 3 October 2011
One of Alastair Campbell's top five books of all time (but don't let that put you off it really is rather good) I think the extra length of Norwegian Wood is a strength because Sputnik Sweetheart never seems to achieve the same dramatic weight as that novel. It is of course wonderfully written by Murakami and is a heartbreaking study of loneliness with the three central character drifting past each other, either disappearing into loneliness or expressing physical love through the aid of a doppleganger. I liked how it wasn't the narrators story yet he came to dominate the proceedings after a time.
on 31 January 2018
I was slightly disappointed that the edition of the book was not the one advertised (I was looking for the red-covered one specifically and received an older one which I don't like as much). Other than that, the book arrived as described in really good condition!
One person found this helpful
on 4 August 2014
This is the first Murakami book I've read, and honestly, I liked it. Really enjoyed it. I've read some samples of his other work and they seem, oh I don't know... vast? Grand, drenched in mystery and somewhat intimidating. So I started off small, light... easy.

This book I really enjoyed. I very much enjoyed the three main characters this book follows. The writing and feel of the book are like hooks with lots of little hooks that once get you, will not let go.

Loneliness looms over these characters throughout the story, and I was left to wonder if happiness would grace them. It is quite a real setting that dips its toe into the supernatural at times.

very much enjoyed this book, and have bought a few other books of Murakami to lose myself in.
on 16 October 2016
Norweigan Wood will never be beaten in my heart, and probably not many others. But Sputnik Sweetheart goes beyond just Japan, and travels to Greece. What makes an interesting read is Sputnik Sweethearthow Murakami handles writing about Foreign destinations. I personally love Murakami so I am still giving it a 4 but, Murakami's strong japanese voice is diluted by the unfamilar territory.
on 3 August 2016
Touching and sensitive story, expertly written. This is only my second Murakami book but I'm now hooked and will be working my way through them.
on 23 February 2018
Prompt delivery. Item as described
on 10 November 2017
Quality book, great writer, stories that keep you thinking.