on 8 January 2003
This is an amazing book. It's no ordinary self-help book - it's well-written, presents fascinating results of solid scientific research, and it works - at least it worked for me! It's packed with information about psychology yet it is an easy and compelling read. It describes how the author, who is an academic psychologist, did research that revealed that luck is not about chance or fate, it is down to how you think and behave. You can make your own luck by following four "luck principles". As well as the discovery of the principles, the book describes "luck school" - a scientific study in which people were given various exercises to practise in order to boost their luck by using these four principles. 80% of people reported significant increases in their happiness, life satisfaction, and luckiness, following their participation in the luck school experiment. I must admit I was a bit skeptical before reading the book. I have always considered myself a lucky person, and I didn't think the book would have much effect on me. However, I discovered using the questionnaire in the book that although I was already using three of the luck principles, I was neglecting a fourth one. So in the last week I have been practising the recommended exercises to boost that principle and I am amazed and delighted to say that I have already noticed an increase in my luck! I think this remarkable book deserves to be a bestseller.
11 Comment| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 March 2016
This is perhaps one of the best GENUINE self-help books that you'll ever read, and I say that as someone who tried several different books by people I now recognise to be charlatans. For a period I had been seeing a personal guru who introduced me to the concept of the Law of Attraction, and for a period I swallowed it hook, line and sinker. Needless to say it caused me a lot of unneeded suffering and misery, for the very reason that the various books teachings were centered around a supernatural concept. Additionally the notion is that should you encounter bad luck or suffering it is all your own fault due to negative thinking and other equally ridiculous logical fallacies.

Like Richard Wiseman's '59 Seconds', this book is based on foundations of legitimate psychology, but here you will not be bogged down by anything you won't understand. Instead the book, to its great credit, is presented on layman's terms. It explains how it is that though the majority of people will encounter equal amounts of both good and bad luck, but it is their manner in which they handle situations where they have a change of mentality. A person who perceives themselves as 'Lucky' for example is more likely to take advantage of opportunities, or will spot opportunities far easier than a person who encounters 'bad' luck. Indeed the two sides could even interpret a car crash differently, with a person with a 'Lucky' mentality interpreting it as "At least I'm still alive". The difference with a "Unlucky" person would be their interpretation of "Just my luck, I WOULD have to get into a car accident wouldn't I!"

This is what makes this book so wonderful, and indeed can help it SEEM like there really is a 'Law of Attraction'. But instead of basing its conclusions on notions centered around the supernatural, we are given rational explanations as to why certain people in life appear to do better than the rest of us. Having a good mentality about life also draws more people to you as well, therefore increasing your own social circle.

As a sort of companion piece, I would also highly recommend that you read Danny Wallace's 'Yes Man'. I know some 'Law of Attraction' bloggers have cited it as the book to kick start the 'LOA' in your life, but if you're a rational human being, you'll see how silly that is. However the two books together will certainly make it FEEL as if such a thing does exist. However it is far healthier to have a change of mentality rather than an abandonment of sanity.
on 15 October 2015
A very interesting book - informative and useful - about scientific research into whether some people are lucky and others unlucky, and if so why. It turns out that this 'luck' is strong and is down to a bunch of attitudes and behaviours (many of which you can change). E.g. lucky people network more with friends & strangers and hence encounter opportunities (e.g. for work) more often than unlucky people. Also, lucky people try doing things and persist with them, whereas unlucky people give up too easily or don't even bother trying.

The book turns this into a list of techniques you can apply to make yourself luckier. Unluck most self-help books, their basis in scientific research makes these well worth trying.

My only criticism of the book is its repetitiveness, bordering on padding: points are made, summarized, re-stated and re-summarized over and over, quite unnecessarily.
on 5 November 2015
Richard Wiseman has done some really interesting research into areas of psychology that have been somewhat overlooked. When you read this book, you'll wonder why on earth no-one tried to find out about luck before! It is a great mixture of humorous "self-help" book, including exercises to do to help improve your own luck, and fascinating case studies of lucky and unlucky people. I found I identified incredibly strongly with some of the stories within the book and found it fascinating to look at luck in a scientific way. Worth a read!
on 25 September 2017
As with any of these type of books, you have to read or listen, take notes and act upon the information.
It's the same with this and it is a very good publication. Excellent points and very easy to follow. Again, if you do what the publication points out, you will find changes starting in your life.
We make our own luck but it really depends on how you think.
on 20 October 2017
A great book exploring why some people are lucky and some not as well as what to do to increase your chances of luck
on 6 October 2017
It took a little longer than expected to arrive but that was ok. The book is interesting but not sue I agree with its findings.
on 31 August 2015
Amazing book the techniques in this book just work the theory and science behind it are unarguable.non of the woo woo law of attraction stuff here just pure science !
on 18 December 2012
A study into luck, and the common factors that make it happen, with suggestions on how you can apply them yourself. There are few surprises in the book, but a lot of good thinking and clear thought that demystifies this ancient positive force, and outlines why it actually works. If such matters interest you, Wiseman is a terrific place to start.
on 3 December 2012
I have given this product 5 stars. The 5 stars are not describing the condition of the book, because that was average. However, the book was amazing - it is extremely enlightening and puts your whole existence into perspective. It explains the concept of luck in a very easy to understand way, and it gives your tools that you can use to create your own luck.

I would very highly recommend this product!