Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 January 2003
This is an amazing book. It's no ordinary self-help book - it's well-written, presents fascinating results of solid scientific research, and it works - at least it worked for me! It's packed with information about psychology yet it is an easy and compelling read. It describes how the author, who is an academic psychologist, did research that revealed that luck is not about chance or fate, it is down to how you think and behave. You can make your own luck by following four "luck principles". As well as the discovery of the principles, the book describes "luck school" - a scientific study in which people were given various exercises to practise in order to boost their luck by using these four principles. 80% of people reported significant increases in their happiness, life satisfaction, and luckiness, following their participation in the luck school experiment. I must admit I was a bit skeptical before reading the book. I have always considered myself a lucky person, and I didn't think the book would have much effect on me. However, I discovered using the questionnaire in the book that although I was already using three of the luck principles, I was neglecting a fourth one. So in the last week I have been practising the recommended exercises to boost that principle and I am amazed and delighted to say that I have already noticed an increase in my luck! I think this remarkable book deserves to be a bestseller.
11 Comment| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 July 2017
this is a terrific book. well worth reading slowly and doing the exercises as you read.
on 28 July 2017
Amazing book i you apply the steps could turn your life in a good direction
on 15 August 2017
Great book!
if you think you are a lucky person then this book will confirm that...if not then you might learn a thing or two.
on 28 August 2017
Nice, solid and easy to follow advice. Concise and well explained. A gem of a book
on 7 December 2014
Great manual for living
This fascinating 10-year study reveals that good fortune is not primarily due to talent, hard work or intelligence. The book is a scientific investigation based upon interviews and experiments with people who consider themselves lucky; the author concludes that luck is a state of mind that may be cultivated.
Wiseman identifies four principles that underlie a life of good fortune, adherence to which will draw good luck into the life of the individual. These are 1. The belief that you are lucky (lucky people create, notice and act upon chance opportunities. They also have a relaxed attitude to life). 2. Lucky people make success happen by using their intuition and gut feelings. 3. One must expect good fortune, hold fast to this belief and persevere in attempting to achieve your goals. 4. Lucky people have a knack for transforming back luck into good luck. One must affirm your good fortune and have a strong conviction that everything will work out for the best.
There are graphs showing the research results and some black and white illustrations of playing cards. Overall the conclusions are quite impressive and I find the results of the study very convincing. There are plenty of exercises and the book concludes with notes that include bibliographic references. It is heartening to finally see scientific proof of the power of the mind in this regard.
on 8 January 2004
Although there are some interesting ideas in this book, there is an awful lot of padding; and believe me it takes an awful lot of padding to stretch 4 ideas into 200 pages.
It soon becomes irritating to have so many re-statements of the same ideas and "quick re-caps" and end-of-chapter summaries. No-one has an attention span that short!
The 4 ideas themselves are fair enough: 1. maximise your opportunities, 2. listen to your hunches, 3. expect good fortune, and 4. turn your bad look into good.
Where the author weakens his own case is by over-stating them. For example, in number 1, he tells us that at a party of 50 people you are two handshakes away from 4.5 million people. Well, sorry, but [like pyramid selling] this just doesn't add up. The reality is that most of the 50 people at any party will know the same people, not a whole new set of 50. My point is that the argument is valid enough without over-stating it like this.
The discussion of the main ideas is disappointingly one-dimensional. For example, the author refers to effects of extraversion on luck. This is interesting and, since we know from twin studies that there is a genetic component to extraversion, this raises the possibility of a genetic factor in luck. However, this idea probably doesn't really sit too well with a self-help book, however interesting and isn't developed.
Finally, I found myself reaching for the sick-bag after the 92nd story from the Pollyannas who seem to populate the author's world of lucky people. Check out Marvin "who always wanted to be a private detective...a few hours later he walked away with headed stationery, business cards and his dream job." [p.117] You would have to have no sense of irony not to laugh out loud!
I notice that the author has quite a few books and so on; all seemingly based on this one idea. No-one could accuse him of not pushing his luck!
on 17 January 2003
I was given this book and assumed that it would be another rubbishy self-help book. However, to my suprise, I found that it was actually very interesting and convincing. Most of what the author says is commonsense, but I have never seen it all tied together like this before. I think the best thing about this book is that the recommendations for what to do to improve your luck are all quite easy to do, and enjoyable, so it's something that you're more likely to stick to.
on 9 August 2016
This book is interesting and was bought to complement the audio book from audible as it was hard to do the exercises from the audio commentary. However the book was advertised as used/very good condition and it is not. it is badly stained with a sepia coloured stain through the first 35 pages, with other pages somewhat discoloured. This is not enough to prevent it being read, and as I only want it for the exercises, I have given the product as a whole 2 stars.