on 30 January 2011
This is the 3rd book of Prof. Wiseman's I have read and along with the others I have thoroughly enjoyed all of them.

Prof. Wiseman writes in a way that easily understood without leaving out any of the reasoning and results fro his studies.
At times very humorous whilst still getting the point across.

This book in itself is very enlightening and if the steps and ideas are followed, I believe you are certainly likely to feel much more like one of the 'lucky one's !'.

I'm studyin for a degree in Psychology at the age of 51...so my mind is taxed at the best of times, but I learn so much and really enjoy reading Richard Wiseman that I can only recommend this book wholeheartedly to anyone who enjoys any form of Psychology or just wants to be 'luckier' in life !
One person found this helpful
on 8 January 2004
Although there are some interesting ideas in this book, there is an awful lot of padding; and believe me it takes an awful lot of padding to stretch 4 ideas into 200 pages.
It soon becomes irritating to have so many re-statements of the same ideas and "quick re-caps" and end-of-chapter summaries. No-one has an attention span that short!
The 4 ideas themselves are fair enough: 1. maximise your opportunities, 2. listen to your hunches, 3. expect good fortune, and 4. turn your bad look into good.
Where the author weakens his own case is by over-stating them. For example, in number 1, he tells us that at a party of 50 people you are two handshakes away from 4.5 million people. Well, sorry, but [like pyramid selling] this just doesn't add up. The reality is that most of the 50 people at any party will know the same people, not a whole new set of 50. My point is that the argument is valid enough without over-stating it like this.
The discussion of the main ideas is disappointingly one-dimensional. For example, the author refers to effects of extraversion on luck. This is interesting and, since we know from twin studies that there is a genetic component to extraversion, this raises the possibility of a genetic factor in luck. However, this idea probably doesn't really sit too well with a self-help book, however interesting and isn't developed.
Finally, I found myself reaching for the sick-bag after the 92nd story from the Pollyannas who seem to populate the author's world of lucky people. Check out Marvin "who always wanted to be a private detective...a few hours later he walked away with headed stationery, business cards and his dream job." [p.117] You would have to have no sense of irony not to laugh out loud!
I notice that the author has quite a few books and so on; all seemingly based on this one idea. No-one could accuse him of not pushing his luck!
37 people found this helpful
on 17 January 2003
I was given this book and assumed that it would be another rubbishy self-help book. However, to my suprise, I found that it was actually very interesting and convincing. Most of what the author says is commonsense, but I have never seen it all tied together like this before. I think the best thing about this book is that the recommendations for what to do to improve your luck are all quite easy to do, and enjoyable, so it's something that you're more likely to stick to.
33 people found this helpful
on 28 December 2014
Bought as a present so can't give a real comment
on 2 January 2011
Some people have mentioned already that this book 'states the obvious' in many respects but the whole point is that the people who need it most cannot see the obvious and need it pointing out! I should know - I was one of those people! When you are stuck in a negative cycle, you need positive things in your life that you probably don't have, to push you in the right direction - this book is one of those positive things.

I have suffered from social anxiety all my life and so was conditioned into a negative thought process in everything I did. Even after I'd improved my life and gotten over the worst, I still tended to sometimes dwell on the negative. Then one day, a very honest woman told me in a nice way that I came across as very negative sometimes. I had no idea, believing that I had sorted all my anxiety issues and so any lingering issues could be blamed on other people and not myself. Well, I was wrong and she was right! I was struggling to get girlfriends and meet close friends and to really advance myself in life. That was until this girl gave me her copy of 'The Luck Factor'.

Yes, I already knew everything in the book about how being positive is the way to go and making myself open to people was what I needed to do but knowing it and believing in it and then actually doing it are very seperate issues. It's like losing weight - we know it's good for us, we all want to make ourselves look and feel better and we all know HOW to do it. So why do so many of us fail? It's a psychological thing. Something stops us from doing it and sticking at it. Sometimes we need inspiration, something to really make us believe and kick-start us into action. Well, this book is that inspiration! You can't beat real life stories and cold hard facts, as well as being able to empathise with others. The Luck Factor will force you to examine your life and look at it in a way you probably won't have before and once you have done that, you can't fail not to start to improve your situation. The Luck Factor has become my 'Bible' and if I ever slip, I just look to it to edge me back on the right path.

Truly life changing.
28 people found this helpful
on 29 October 2014
Jack is unlucky. He tripped over and broke his bones.
Jill is lucky she found a ten pond note on the floor.
Write down ten ways you could be more lucky today. He is some pop psychology to help you....

Totally useless.
3 people found this helpful
on 3 October 2015
This is a book about a study done some years ago to compare people who considered themselves lucky with people who thought that they were neutral and also unlucky people. The subject is very interesting, of course and the book, if nothing else, will give you food for thought. As far as I am concerned it confronted me with the fact that although my life has been a bit of a mess so far I should consider myself a very lucky person and the bottom line is that I have the profile of a lucky person, reason why I have thrived despite quite a few setbacks. One of the most interesting parts of the book is the Luck School, where unlucky and neutral people learn how to turn their lives around and eventually become lucky people. Lucky people also became even luckier after they applied the principals to all aspects of their lives. The author uses a lot of examples of people he came across during his research, which makes the subject easier to understand.

Basically, in order to turn bad luck into good luck you need to learn to trust your intuition, need to have a wide network of people around you and need to expect good fortune (the principle of the Law of Attraction). There is also the link to a website where you can register and take part in further research. I haven't looked into it yet but I am going to do it right away. All in all although the book could be even more thorough it is a very good first approach. I can imagine that by now this research is a lot further.
on 9 August 2016
This book is interesting and was bought to complement the audio book from audible as it was hard to do the exercises from the audio commentary. However the book was advertised as used/very good condition and it is not. it is badly stained with a sepia coloured stain through the first 35 pages, with other pages somewhat discoloured. This is not enough to prevent it being read, and as I only want it for the exercises, I have given the product as a whole 2 stars.
on 19 December 2012
Richard Wiseman conducts study of 2 people Brenda and Martin and comes up with a general conclusion based on a non scientific experiment. Page 59/60 and 61. Brenda does not pick up a 5£ note, orders a coffee and sits silently at a table, therefore, according to Wiseman, she attracts bad luck when compared to Martin who picks up the 5£note, orders coffee and chats with another patron.

The book is full of conclusion based on wrong statistics
4 people found this helpful
on 1 May 2004
This 10-year study with volunteers reveals that good fortune is not due to talent, hard work or intelligence. This scientific investigation is based upon interviews and experiments with people who consider themselves lucky; the author concludes that luck is a state of mind.
Wiseman identifies four principles that underlie a life of good fortune, adherence to which will draw good luck into the life of the individual. These are 1. The belief that you are lucky (lucky people create, notice and act upon chance opportunities. They also have a relaxed attitude to life. 2. Lucky people make success happen by using their intuition and gut feelings. 3. One must expect good fortune, hold fast to this belief and persevere in attempting to achieve your goals. 4. Lucky people have a knack for transforming back luck into good luck. One must affirm your good fortune and have a strong conviction that everything will work out for the best.
The text is illustrated by graphs from the research plus some black and white illustrations of playing cards. Overall the conclusions are quite impressive and I find the results of the study very convincing. There are plenty of exercises and the book concludes with notes that include bibliographic references. It is heartening to finally see scientific proof of the claims made by sages and esotericists down the ages.
10 people found this helpful