Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 October 2003
One of the few books that I look forward to reading at bedtime - and I'm 43! Great illustrations, good jokes (especially for grown-ups) and a funny story - both my 5 and 4 year old love it. And the final joke always raises a smile evn after the 50th read. A triumph for kids' imagination.
You can't fail with this book.
VINE VOICEon 20 March 2005
This book is FANTASTIC - an outstanding picture book that preschool children and their parents cannot help loving. The illustrations are lovely - bright and appealing - and the story is one of the best I've come across and my children have a lot of books. Billy chooses a bucket for his birthday and spends the day peering into it. His parents laugh at the amazing things he says he can see - sharks, submarines and mermaids among other things. But they should have listened as his Dad learns to his peril when he borrows the bucket to wash his car. The twist in the tale never fails to make me smile and after it his parents are looking at amazing aquatic creatures in the bucket with Billy too. However, they won't be borrowing it again I'm sure.
If you buy one book this month, then I'd recommend Billy's bucket whole-heartedly.
on 28 June 2005
My 3 year old and myself love this! I am always glad when he picks it off the shelf for a bedtime story. The idea is so fantastic that a boy can look into a bucket and find a world underneath the sea. I also love the way Billy warns his parents not to use his bucket but they don't listen with diastorous and hilarious results rather like when children don't listen to their parents. Be warned though you might get some requests to go to Buckets r us and its hard to explain that it doesn't exist!
on 18 February 2015
I used this book during a seaside topic with my year 2 class. We did 2 weeks of literacy based around the book. After a sealife trip children thought about what might be in their bucket and described it. We worked on innovating the story also. In art children designed buckets. They all enjoyed the story.
on 31 October 2009
I bought this book on a whim and can honestly say it's one the very best children's books in my collection. It has become a clear favourite at story time for my Year 1 class. The story is magical, Billy wants a bucket for his birthday (much to his parents' consternation!) but not just ANY bucket....he spots THE one at Buckets-R-Us and when he fills it with water we are transported into what we assume is his imagination, as he discovers a wealth of sea creatures and even a mermaid (although it could just be a large haddock!). His parents think he's pulling their leg about what's in his bucket...but it's Billy who has the last laugh.

This is simply wonderful to share aloud, a really great fun read with lovely bold illustrations to explore. It also lends itself to literacy activites if you chose to develop it.

I am amazed that not more people have discovered this little gem! You won't be disappointed!
on 13 September 2015
Lovely story, especially for little boys who maybe aren't as keen to sit and listen to stories. A whole scheme of work was based around this book in my nursery setting. Bright interesting illustrations that offer opportunities for discussions
on 1 May 2014
This book is really good and gets your little one's imagination going.

It came recommended on a website we found about high learning potential children so bought it for our little Einstein.
on 16 April 2014
Lovely fun commentary on the differences between kids imagination and parents lack of belief.
My boys pretend they can see things in all sorts of containers in the style of Billy.
Great to encourage imagination...
on 14 February 2012
Billy wants a bucket for his birthday. This bucket is special and Billy sees all sorts of fish and sea creatures in it, even a couple of divers and a submarine. He warns his Mum and Dad not to use his bucket for anything. Of course Dad doesn't listen and the consequenses are huge! (and funny).
on 8 July 2011
Bought this for my grandsons 2nd birthday, He's so into books and as his name is Billy I decided to buy this as he could relate with someone with the same name. He loves to turn the page to see whats in the bottom of the bucket next. He does have his own bucket and we make up whats in the bottom of his bucket. Fab buy!