on 10 October 2017
The third book of Brautigan's I have read is certainly the strangest so far. This is a wonderful novel that is unlike almost any other work of fiction I have ever read. It is a very gentle, whimsical and idealistic (possibly) post-apocalyptic utopian fantasy in which there is no obvious satire or negative irony, but sufficient black humour and absurdist whimsy to render it emotionally effective on more than one level. The society described in the book will make one feel wistful; the jarring elements that co-exist with this society (I don't wish to provide any spoilers) will make one feel uneasy at the same time; and the jarring elements will intensify the wistfulness.

It's a delicate balancing act and it's hard to know how much of the charm of this novel is the product of a penetrating intelligence and how much is a product of happy naivety. Surely both qualities are involved... Certainly this is a novel that will be easy for readers of a particular political outlook to dislike. The hippy-trippy-dippy elements are strong and may seem hopelessly dreamy and escapist when read in the spirit of the violent modern age. But the remarkable qualities of the book should not be overlooked. The curious invention and atmosphere of In Watermelon Sugar are unique and deserve to be experienced by new generations of readers.
One person found this helpful
on 22 March 2015
Excellent, this describes both Richard Brautigan's book and the service from Amazon.
Service from Amazon: fast, extreme value for money and totally reliable, Amazon have always delivered greater than my expectations. I'm looking forward to purchasing Richard Brautigan's daughter's book on Richard's chosen departure

Richard Brautigan's book "Trout Fishing in America" intriguing, thought provoking,inspiring and challenging in equal measure. Opened my eyes to more creative literary characterisation. The book also paints seemingly simple but beautiful word pictures of landscapes and situations.
Highly recommended for those who are ready
on 15 October 2016
Bought as a gift for my mum, since she had been looking for this book for years after her original copy began to fall apart. She was over the moon when I found it here on amazon, and she reads it a lot since I got it for her.
on 15 February 2018
Great
on 15 February 2018
Honestly, what is all the fuss about?
on 31 July 2016
Didn't finish it. Of it's time perhaps. It's not you it's me etc.
on 20 February 2016
My daughter is a great fan of his and loved this.
on 19 January 2015
odd storey line , wish it was longer to understand the characters more
on 19 August 2013
My first read by Brautigan, and I was delighted!
I still cannot believe how descriptive he can be using minimal word count.
I was quite enthralled. I followed this with 'The sombrero fallout' and 'in watermelon sugar' has been dispatched. I am hooked!
on 13 April 2016
We read this at my book club....sorry but none of us enjoyed it , just didn't connect with it on any level.