Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 February 2006
My son is just over 3 and was introduced to this book at nursery when he was about 2. He loves it, knows it off by heart and it is fun for adults to read as well. As many people reading this site will know, it can get tedious reading the same book over and over again but not so with this one, it's just great. This is one of the best books around for small children - and as the reviews here show it appeals to a reasonably large age range (2-3 and 5-6). A triumph.
on 26 February 2005
This is my son's favorite. He is five and a half and this book has been his favorite for over a year - and he has many, many good books ! The illustrations are great (and we are very fussy !!! ), the text is witty, simple and ever so British ! and this brilliant story is short enough to be read when we are in a hurry. My boy is half British, but we live in France, and if he understand English very well, he doesn't speak much, apart from this book which he knows by heart and enjoys ever and ever again. One of my favorite too...and to my view, it deserve to become a Classic.
on 19 May 2006
Our class really enjoyed reading this book. We read it about 5 times! We particularly liked the bit where the furniture was upside down on the ceiling of George's cave and when the dragon jumped out of his skin when he saw the little mouse. It made us laugh a lot! However, we disliked the pages which used too many 'ands'! Mrs Shoard and Class BS are not allowed to use this many 'ands' in our writing. Nonetheless, we did think this book was a fabulous read!
on 19 May 2006
'George and the Dragon' is a funny story all about a mouse called George who rescues a princess from a terrifying dragon.

Our favourite parts of the story are when the dragon smashes the castle wall down to kidnap the princess and when the dragon, who is afraid of mice, sees George and screams 'Aaaah!'.

The illustrations in the book are colourful and a lot of the story is told through them.

The only part of the book we did not like was the the princess' thank you tea, bcause the author uses too many 'and's.
on 13 July 2009
My three year old son LOVES this book. It was first read to him at nursery & when I picked him up that day he couldn't stop talking about 'the mighty dragon'- he'd even remembered some of the text word-for-word. Since we got our own copy it's been his (and my) favourite.

The illustrations are truly stunning- they fill the page, with just one line of large text at the bottom, making it ideal for those just starting to read for themselves, whilst non-readers will find they soon remember the words that go with each picture, and will enjoy joining in. My son loves it when we cuddle up, turn the light down low and whisper together: "Far, far away, in the high, high mountains, in a deep, deep valley, in a dark, dark cave...there lived (pause for effect) A MIGHTY DRAGON!"(cue dramatic voice).

The story itself, whilst starting off quite dramatically is actually a lighthearted tale of how the fierce & terrible dragon is secretly afraid of mice, and what happens when one (the George of the title) moves into the cave next door. It's fun to read out loud for adults too, which can't be bad when you sometimes find the same book requested several times a day for weeks on end.
All in all a lovely book for younger children who like all things dragon-related!
on 1 April 2014
My son is 4.5 & enjoys this book. The illustrations are excellent of The dragon. Very quick read as there is not much of a 'story' as illustrations take up much of the pages. My son still enjoys though!!
on 8 September 2002
Bold,stunning illustrations and a witty text. A neat twist on the legend with a beautiful dragon, and an endearingly suave mouse. A book to share with an individual child, or to read aloud to a group.
on 6 May 2012
I chose this book to read to a group of 3 year olds. they enjoyed it and listened well. I was hoping that I could find something actually about St. George for this age group, but there wasn't so this was a substitute. didn't teach them anything culturally, but the story was nice and they all enjoyed it!
the book came when I expected it, but why did a 26cm square book have to come in a flat pack which measured 61 by 43cm?
Wasted resources, Amazon!
on 17 November 2015
My 2 and 4 year olds love it. The story is quite plain and when I read it I didn't find anything special with it, but it was definitely a hit with the children, so I can't complain. They ask a lot of questions about the dragon and the mouse and the castle!
Maybe it's suitable for younger kids / preschoolers. An older child might find it boring.
I bought several of the Red Fox Mini Treasures books because we're out and about a lot but the kids do enjoy a story. The mini edition is the perfect size to put in a handbag/ changing bad/ buggy pouch and is such good value for money.

I particularly liked this story because it has such as positive `David and Goliath' type message. The dragon is a powerful and strong creature who seemingly cannot be vanquished; but he is scared of George, the little mouse who comes round to borrow some sugar for his tea.

A charming tale and wonderful (and somewhat traditional) illustrations; I'll enjoy reading this with the kids..