• Beegu

Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 April 2017
All my grandchildren have loved these books. So much so that none have been passed on to other cousins etc. and I have had to get new for each family. Great illustrations; loved 'the slow loris'.
on 23 May 2017
Great book, the kids in my class loved it and the storyline. Definitely recommend!
on 29 April 2017
Lovely book. Used to plan a fortnights work for year 2 children exploring a wide range of English objectives as well as cross curricular links
on 16 April 2017
Everyone loved this book but I just didnt get it
on 9 April 2017
Enjoyed the story
on 19 March 2017
Super story enjoyed by my class. Can be used in many different ways.
on 17 January 2010
For me, the feel of the book is too downbeat, not at all what I expected.
We see that children are prepared to embrace the unknown - an excellent message. However, the other equally clear message is that grown ups ignore ,or -worse- turn away the unknown.
Try explaining to a 3 year old why people abandon puppies, why they turn away a beautiful lost alien, why they are too busy to care. Why not put off facing such questions, and exposing children to tough realities to a later date...
I rarely review my children's books - but this is one of those few books which is something bit special.

This story of a stranded young alien on Earth is brought to life by excellent artwork. The illustrations perfectly capture the emotive situations, be it a cute image of a vulnerable Beegu cuddled up in a box with abandoned puppies, or the excited Beegu with his massive ears sticking up when encountering playful children.

This is short book, but it is very poignant. It's almost heart-breaking at times, but as it's a children's bed-time story - you know it'll have a happy ending.

This is my first experience of Alexis Deacon, but I'm quite a fan of Oliver Jeffers (see Lost and Found, and The Way Back Home) and 'Beegu' provides that same level of luscious humorous artwork along with a story that makes story-time something for us daddies to look forward to as well.
on 7 January 2005
My 3 year-old demands Beegu at bedtime most nights. It's a simple and heartwarming story, but what makes it stand out is the superb quality of the illustration. The subdued palette and the deft drawing is far superior to the run-of-the-mill children's book artwork. I also love the way Beegu is ignored, overlooked, rejected by all the adults - appealing to a child's sense that only the small people can see and appreciate the otherworldly. I think Beegu's experience stranded on earth shows rather nicely what the knee-high view of what urban life must be like for toddlers: a see of hostile ankles and briefcases and no room to move.
on 14 March 2017
I like it because i am making a asembelly and because i like it when it says No one seemed to understand her [as submiited by my 5 year old daughter!]