on 10 January 2018
one i wanted to catch up on as never read when i was a kid. seems to be a bit long winded for a childrens book. Its easy to read but not sure a midern kid would have the patience to keep going with this. It shows its age.
on 19 July 2015
My 4yr old daughter loved this story, we even had the chance to see the National Theatre production after reading it twice. Lots of suspense, and kids love these old stories where children have their own lives and are in charge of themselves. Only downside is I had to ad lib quite a bit when it came to the girl character (the *only* girl character) as despite being plucky and intelligent, her main contribution seemed to be making sandwiches and coffee for the boys. I imagine this is revised in newer editions.
on 27 January 2018
Need it for English course. The teacher decided to work on this book so bought it otherwise I wouldn't buy because I feel it's more for children aged 6-16.
on 24 July 2011
I bought this book for my 9 year old grandson after I had heard the story adapted for radio, on Radio 4 one Sunday afternoon. It is a very exciting plot to listen to and my Grandson agreed, after he had read it in 4 nights! It reminded me of a Francis Durbridge type story from the 50's.

The story is set in Germany and is of a young boy who gets swept into an adventure whilst on a train journey to visit his Grandmother in Berlin. This book is a must for any child but particularly those with a vivid imagination!
on 30 August 2017
First read this at primary school 50+ years ago. So it was a piece of nostalgia
on 31 July 2013
Kaestner certainly knew how to write a good story that appeals not only to children but also to adults like myself. A perennial pleasure for readers of all ages. This edition is a treasure not to be missed.
4 people found this helpful
on 3 August 2017
Our 6 year old enjoyed this as a bedtime book. It's quite old fashioned and took a while to get going (at first he said it was boring) but turned into an exciting adventure.
on 12 August 2015
My 8 year old son was unsure what to make of this book at first but soon started to enjoy the story; it is well paced and the excitement builds. The plot is easy to follow but enough twists and turns to help build the suspense
on 13 February 2015
Read this aloud to 10 and 11 year olds and it went down really well - fast paced and loads of scope for doing all the voices. If you are teaching literacy, it has a nice clear adventure story structure which makes a good model for writing.
on 21 February 2013
I read this book many years ago when it was a little yellow hardback, I was five years old and was captivated, I have since read this at least twenty times...so..from five years old till date I have enjoyed this book and can honestly say is my fav book ever. Have tried to get my children to read it but as its not electronic and has no graphics..they are not interested..sad times lol