Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 March 2017
Lovely condition
on 11 May 2009
I just bought this book for a new baby (for when the baby is a bit older!)and I had forgotten how great it is to read out loud. Mr Gumpy allows all sorts of animals onto his boat and all is going smoothly and then, they all start to do the things he had so asked them not to do and they all end up in the water. But then they all walk home to tea. Wonderful illustrations, rhythm, and just one of the best to read out loud to anyone over one.
on 6 November 2000
"Mr Gumpy's Outing" is a book which I really enjoy reading to my daughter. The illustrations are delightful, with an almost expressionist quality far removed from the clip-art style of many children's illustrators. The lanuage is beautiful, too; a celebration of simplicity which makes the story easy to follow, yet holds the attention of both reader and listener. Without giving anything away, there is a long list of the books protagonists towards the end of the story which my daughter always intones with me in a wild crescendo. If you are looking for a lesson in the story, I suppose cause and effect are at its heart. As for Mr Gumpy, his unflappable patience could teach us all a thing or two. A lovely book.
on 20 May 2017
This is a charming book easy to read to children at bedtime suitable for ages 3 to 4 easy to read
on 30 November 2011
One day, Mr Gumpy sets off for a peaceful ride in his boat. As he travels along, he is joined by two children, a rabbit, a cat, a dog, a pig, a sheep, some chickens, a calf, and a goat. Each is allowed on board on the condition that they behave themselves. Of course, it's not long before pandemonium breaks out, and everyone gets a soaking. Luckily, it's a warm day, so Mr Gumpy invites them all back to his house for tea, and order is restored.

I remember reading John Burningham's books as a child, and am delighted to find that they're still in print so that I can now share them with my daughter. Even though she is not quite two, she is already enjoying slightly longer stories, and 'Mr Gumpy's Outing' has been a great success with her. Burningham's drawings are gorgeous, and even though the text gets quite repetitive where each passenger is boarding the boat, Burningham does a great job of finding lots of different ways to say the same thing.

Although this book was originally published over forty years ago, it carries a timeless message about getting on with others which both old and young readers can ponder and appreciate.

This review refers to the paperback edition of 'Mr Gumpy's Outing' published in 2001 by Red Fox.
on 9 March 2010
My 12 year old god daughter was with me when I was looking for books for my 2 year old grand daughter. Molly reminded me how much she'd loved this book when she was that age. What a good choice. My grand daughter loves it. Its easy to read, the illustrations are gentle and the whole book flows beautifully. She loves to pick out the animals and talks about other adventures they may have. Its one of her favourite bed time books too.
on 7 December 2009
Un petit ouvrage dont le langage est soutenu mais facilement adaptable auprès d'enfants apprenant l'anglais. Parfait pour réviser ou introduire les animaux les plus communs.
on 7 August 2007
I like this book because Granny always reads it to us. My Gumpy takes a lot of animals in a boat and they all fall in the water. I fell in the water a lot today because me and Jack went down my slide into the paddling pool. It was funny.
on 25 April 2011
I bought this book as I remembered it being read to me as a child and how much I enjoyed it! A simple, classic story - and nice to see the illustrations haven't changed! Already a hit with my little girl (although she's only 7months), can see this being a favourite with her too in the years to come!
on 4 August 2009
I bought this book for use in my work as a Learning Support Assistant. It is ideal as it it appeals to most children, it helps with counting and sequencing while being an enjoyable and fun story.