The Forest
Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 December 2017
I really enjoyed The Forest. I’m a fan of Rutherfurd’s work. He’s the only author of historical fiction I seek out and I find his work very approachable.

Like the other books I’ve read (Paris and New York), The Forest spans centuries of history to tell the story of the ancient New Forest, a place of legend with ties to some of the most important events in English history.

Rutherfurd’s prose is highly approachable, vivid and impressive. The rich descriptions in the book bring the ancient forest and the families who live and work there to memorable life.

What I liked about this book is that it contains generations of the same families who have thrives in the New Forest since it was founded. There’s something I really liked about this.
on 6 April 2018
I haven’t finished this book yet but so far it’s been an amazing journey through time. The forest and the characters that live there and the wildlife. I really enjoy the notes on nature it encourages to seek more knowledge . It’s a book that you would want to keep, the stories from the different ages in the forest I’m really enjoying. A brilliant author and spinner of tales. Great read.
on 12 September 2017
This book starts in 1099 and goes up to April 2000 and it is the story of the wonderful New Forest. There are wars, betrayals and passions over the various generations depicted in this book. I thoroughly recommend this.
on 8 February 2014
If you have read any Edward Rutherford books you know his way of telling his tales so I won't go into that. This is a good addition to the titles and the kindle edition is good and feasible. My only grouse would be that any maps reproduced don't come up well on my kindle reader as anything close to photographs or similar just don't show up well and increasing the font size won't work on them but that is a disadvantage of my kindle and not the book. I can of course read it on the kindle fire but I prefer the matt finish screen on the reader.
on 19 April 2018
I enjoyed this book very much. It gives you a great view of the Forest history through the stories of ordinary people living through the events of their like, for instance, the Spanish Armada. Also lots of information about the way the Forest has been managed over the years. You'd have to enjoy history to like this book.
on 12 May 2013
I have read all of Edward Rutherford's books. I left this one until last as the subject matter of the New Forest did not grab me as much as the subject matters covered in other books. However much to my surprise and delight this must rank as one of his best.
As with all of his books the saga starts around 1000 AD and works up to the present by means of stories of interlinked families and historical events. The book is long but well worth the time in reading it, strong characters with whom one can empathise or dislike, rarely is there a character who makes no impression. Well researched, well written and highly recommended.
on 4 April 2018
Never read anything by him before and so far am really enjoying it. Like the way he takes you through the different ages in the New Forest and allows to see the families as they progress through time. Also enjoying the local connection as I live nearby.
on 5 February 2018
Really enjoying this book, good story, interesting social history, beautifully written. Looking forward to reading other titles by this author.
on 26 March 2018
It was recommended to me. Too long, not brilliantly written, some of the chapters were pretty boring, I got about 60% through it and gave up.
on 19 April 2018
I am only half way through but enjoying the historical links to places I know as I live in the area.