Customer reviews

The World And Other Places
Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 January 2018
a great read - as aways Jeanette Winterson never ceases to amaze me with her use of language -
on 31 October 2017
Winterson is a wise writer, I feel better for reading her work.
on 16 November 2015
Perfect
on 9 September 2014
I love the majority of her books having now read them all. She tells stories wonderfully, often using effective examples of daily situations that seem so small but stay with you, also the most rich imagery that can transport a reader.
on 20 April 2016
uk's best writer imho
on 16 January 2015
There is just no way to say how good this visionary set of tales is. Before reading it I had read just one of her books, this one caused me to read them all.
on 6 January 2014
Beautifully crafted short stories. Thoroughly enjoyable. Just long enough to read a story before bed, or possibly two! really great
on 3 November 2014
What do you expect? it's Winterson! Such imagination - clever, witty, serious, funny. A wonderful and unique collection of short stories.
on 18 November 2011
A good example of how short stories can show a writer at their best. These date from the late 90s as far as I can tell, and are imaginative, with rich imagery and depth of feeling. One or two stories are wholly or partly autobiographical, but most don't seem to be.

It seems unfair on Winterson to downgrade the review because of the structural quality of the book, so I won't... but the copy I received doesn't have the attractive cover shown in the Amazon page, and the paper it's printed on is only just above toilet-roll in the family tree of paper quality. I can see it getting dogeared and grotty quite quickly. That's a shame as I would like to hang onto this book, which deserves a nicer imprint (e.g. the one illustrated). Whilst I applaud the use of FSC paper I know that they can do better than this - it's not as if it's even actually recycled paper (which I might have forgiven!).
review image
2 people found this helpful
on 5 August 2015
I expecte much more inspiration, talent. It exhales a children's fairy tale style. I got bored, didn't have the energies enough to read alll the stories.