Hair In Funny Places
Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 July 2016
Quick delivery. Brought for my 6 year old daughter who has premature adrenarche. Helped her to understand that it's all normal. Some of the words I left out as I didn't think it was appropriate for her age. Otherwise a good book
on 11 July 2017
What an ace book it introduced growing up to my little one but all who have read it enjoyed it's humorous nature male / female /young and old alike
on 23 October 2017
Fantastic book for starting the discussion about body changes. Presented in a fun format which will engage whilst keeping light hearted. Have used with classes of children.
on 23 May 2017
As expected
on 18 November 2001
I read this book with my nine year old daughter and she was very interested in it. It doesn't make you feel uncomfortable, and tells just enough for the child to take in in one go. The way the author includes a teddy takes away any fear of "leaving" childhood and becoming "like mummy". A very good book.
0Comment| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 June 2009
I have used this book to teach a class of 10 year old boys and girls. They found it amusing and not embarrasing. It became one of the most read books in our class library.Good for talking points.
on 5 October 2013
The style of this book.. if you don't read the words, or look too closely at the pictures, gives the impression it is geared at about 4-5 year olds. Large floppy pages, minimal and large text... like a read-along book. However, the actual content is pitched at an age group more of a ... well this is the issue, I cant work it out!

The whole book.. which I have read through 3 times, to try and put my finger on what has unsettled me, feels a bit confused. If you had a really young child going through precocious puberty, then maybe this book would be ok, but I cant help but feel it would be slightly alarming due to the content's juxtaposition to the pictures and layout. But then an older child who could handle the content maybe, would find the layout a bit babyish...??

Pg21 He soon began to take an interest in girls.

Pg22 Inside his penis, Mr Hormone was lurking with another dollop of the mixture.
(Mr and Mrs Hormone are dark,ugly, hairy monsters in the pictures)

Pg23 This made it grow big and small whenever it wanted. Then some sticky stuff actually came out. It meant one day he could be your dad!

Pg24 He wanted to kiss girls but the hormones had made him spotty and smelly.

The topic in question is clearly, for most parents, one of the parenting-rights-of-passage, not really looked forward to. I have spent many hours over the past few months researching how to go about this is the least painful way for my son, and myself. I have to say there are much better, straight forward, still amusing and light hearted, parent/child friendly books out there. ( If you are struggling, have a look at Robie H Harris, different books aimed at 4+, 7+ and 10+ ... the 4+ 'Its NOT the Stork!' is so lovely!)

The Independent and The Times gave good reviews for the book, so maybe I'm on my own with this slightly weirded-out feeling?!

Good luck!!
0Comment| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 November 2004
We bought Dr Dog first and my son loved it so I thought I would try more by Babette Cole. Hair in funny places is wonderful. It explains things in a way that can't possibly be seen as embarrassing and has made for some interesting conversations with my 9 year old son!!!
Highly recommended for boys and girls.
0Comment| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 October 2008
This is such a fun book to read with the kids and so easy to go through it. There is not need at all to stop during reading and answer questions, besides questions like: "Mom, did it happen to you too"?

My kids (not yet 8 and 10) read this almost every evening, over and over. I highly recommend it :)).
on 2 December 1999
Read this book with a view to introducing the subject of puberty and "hair in funny places" to my 8 year old daughter. Good for children who already know a bit about growing up but doesn't deal with everything you need to tell your children. Good for making children feel there's nothing wrong with having "hair in funny places"
0Comment| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse