Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 July 2017
Very good; buy them all -great for bedtime reading. My son aged 3 loves them.
on 27 November 2003
I was delighted to see more Little Red Train titles since my 3-year-old son loved The Runaway Train, the tale of Duffy the Driver's improbable attempts to catch his loco.
This is equally good, again largely down to the superbly detailed illustrations. There's stacks to see on each page as Duffy and his long-suffering passengers trek through France, Spain and Italy, making this another I Spy adventure. If your little one is obsessed with the railways, like mine, buy it - you won't be disappointed.
on 24 September 2012
Benedict Blathwayt's Little Red Train books are a favourite in our household. However, Duffy seems to have gone off the rails in this book - losing his cool when faster trains honk at him to speed up "yelling smoke and smuts to you!" and "hissing nuts and bolts to you!". In children's books we can suspend reality to some degree, but this is pushing perhaps a little too far e.g. he takes the steam train from the UK through the Channel Tunnel and travels to France, Spain, Italy, Scandinavia across on a ferry back to the UK in one day, without noticing that he left the UK. In the little Red Train books Duffy is a kind and generous role model, but not so much in this book with his grumpiness and mindless following of rules i.e. "he knew he had done his best and obeyed signals when they were green and stopped when they were red" despite a detour around Europe! Still, the illustrations are glorious and my boys adore it even though they call it "Dufffy's grumpy day"!
on 28 February 2008
All the Little Red Train books are great but this is perhaps our favourite, describing how the Little Red Train travels across to and all around the Continent. We liked how he went under the sea, and we really enjoyed seeing everything that was under the ocean. The books' major strength lies in their wonderful detailed pictures of town and countryside, and I really think you could discuss them for hours with children between about 2 and 7. I have to say the books mostly appeal to "non-girly" or technically minded children who like a lot of detail. Blathwayt clearly loves drawing all kinds of buildings and machines. The text is simple but the character of Duffy the Driver is quite well established, and the stories have enough interest to hold the pictures together. Hurrah for the Little Red Train!;-)
on 30 April 2005
I got this for my son of 3 from the library and he loved it, so his nan brought him it then I brought the rest of them including the jigsaw book, its a great book and I love reading it too him - a must for little boys!!!!
on 1 May 2009
I recently bought this book for a friend's 4 year old little boy who is obsessed with trains. She tells me that he loves the books at bedtime and she is fed up with hearing the CD over and over again in the car as that is all he will listen too!
on 10 April 2013
I'd forgotten ho much I loved, ten years ago, almost, reading the Little Red Train books to my kids when the memory of this one just popped unbidden into my head. The stories are always terrific, but it's the beautiful, detail drawing that really stands out - I love the one of the train going through the channel tunnel in this book. These books really are classics, and much better than some that have acquired more fame and renown.
on 4 June 2015
My grandson, who is nearly five, just loves the Little Red Train series of books. Lovely illustrations. The downside is that he likes to have at least 4 stories before bedtime!! but, fortunately they are not too long.
on 20 May 2013
This is the first Little Red Train book we have read. My son is 4 and loves it. We look for lots of things to find in the busy pictures and always find something new. The story is great and lots of fun.
on 12 July 2016
Great story, lots is happening on each page, kids love it. Often after the reading we play I spy game as there is plenty to look for on each page and lots to talk about. Simply love this series.