Customer reviews

California Fire And Life
Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 August 2017
This book is so good I'm about to order another by Mr Winslow to read on my Hols. (Visiting the wifes sister, need a good book whilst hiding in the corner...to much chat that doesn't concern me.)
on 18 July 2017
A good read with strong characters and story line. The author researched the subject well,there was a lot of detail in the book.
on 2 September 2017
great book
on 3 September 2017
Very good read well crafted plot recommend ed
on 19 April 2017
Great sense of bravura in his writing style - maybe a bit of a tailing off in the plot line at the end?
on 22 September 2017
Brilliant book , detailed .....avid follower now , downloaded most books now , seriously good !!
on 14 June 2017
As I have come to expect from Don Winslow a very good story
on 10 July 2017
I am now an expert on the science of fire thanks to Don. It raced away with itself a bit in the ending but loved it as with all of his work. Power of the Dog is a masterpiece.
on 5 February 2011
WOW! What a tour de force! I cannot believe this man has been writing novels for decades, and this is the first of his works I've ever read. How come I never heard of him? This book is Elmore Leonard on speed; The prose is tight and the dialogue snappy. The multi-layered plot keeps hitting the reader with new twists, and I read it at a sitting, unable to tear myself away.
Meet Jack Wade, insurance investigator for the eponymous company; a man with a troubled past who refuses to back down from proving a fire was arson and murder, despite being ordered by his bosses to pay the claim. The descriptions of a fire inspector's job show that Winslow has done an amazing amount of research to make his book authentic.
Jack and his sweetheart, a lady cop whose sister was the victim, are threatened and survive murder attempts to bring the killers to justice, but even that justice has a surprise twist. If you only read one thriller this year, make it this one.
I'll definitely be reading more of Winslow's books.
on 29 October 2010
I think everything has been said in the previous reviews. Having read 'The Power of the Dog' The Power Of The Dog my expectations were high, and this book exceeded them. Some authors are rather formulaic - Don Winslow is not. I'm looking forward to the next one I can get hold of.