Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Exclusive track - Ed Sheeran Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now

Customer reviews

The Child Queen
Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 October 2004
When I first started this book, I thought that the recommendation I had had from a friend had been slightly overdone. However, the simple narration in the first person, by the main character Guinivere is actually very compelling. The story itself became more interesting with her own development and the characters became more dear to me. I started this book quite slowly, but as my interest built, my pace quickened and I think I ended up reading the last half over two nights.
Proof enough to me that it was worth my while reading the rest of the series. If you enjoy Marion Zimmer Bradley (whom the author mentions as an inspiration) or other authors writing about the time of Arthur etc. then I would say that this book (and indeed series)would actually be worth reading.
However, having recently begun to read the Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley, I have noticed that there are so many similarities between the two series (except in the portyal of the lead characters)that the first has lost some of its initial glory.
Therefore a word of warning would be that if this would not be your first dip into this genre of fantasy as it was mine, then it might not be as enjoyable, since it would not have the originality that made it such a surprise gem for me.
Crystalinne
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 March 2001
I recommend this book for anyone who is interested in the Arthurian legend. It is especially interesting to read if you've read The Mists of Avalon. The Child Queen is a feminist-type take on the legend (although not as much as The Mists of Avalon), but it is told through the viewpoint of Guenivere. I really enjoyed this book when I read it... Great twists and turns... :)