on 26 June 2013
Louise leaves her husband but when she finds she has cancer, she leaves her new lover too. Written on the Body is a journey of self-discovery made through the metaphors of desire and disease.

A period of celibacy: It hasn't rained for three months. The trees are prospecting underground, sending reserves of roots into the dry ground, roots like razors to open any artery water-fat; Despair as clock approaches bedtime

A visit to the STI clinic: like ante-chamber of Judgement Day - out of way of deserving patients

An avoidance of romance: escape coca and hot water bottles

Satiated: Cheeks like gerbils because mouth was full of Louise; Wet with sex and sweat' Smells of my lover's body still strong in my nostrils which reminds me of the Song of Songs; Three days without washing and she is well-hung and high; the pads of your fingers have become printing blocks, you tap a message on to my skin

Men having affairs are easy to spot - new underwear, cologne

I wonder how promiscuous one-night-stands affects the body - the only other time we give our bodies into the hands of strangers is when we die and go to the undertakers

For many of us, love is something inside our heads and/or hearts.
on 20 May 2013
We are sucked into the world of the narrator - but we never really learn who the narrator is. Man? Woman? We are unable to tell, and when Winterson thinks we may be getting that little bit too comfortable, something is thrown in to unsettle our thoughts and consider whether gender is truly important.

The book is extremely well written, 'personal' (if we can call the 'work' of a fictional narrator such a word) and really does the job that Jeanette Winterson intended - I was lucky enough to attend a lecture given by her on the novel, amongst other things, and it gave great insight into just why she wrote the way she wrote. Experimental was the main word I took away from it.

The strangest plot twist comes right at the end, but I shan't give that away - read for yourself (the English edition, if possible, as in translation it does lose some of its mystery) - highly recommended!
on 14 August 2017
Jeanette... What can I say, she's amazing. Buy it!
on 10 October 2017
If you like Winterson, you will like this. An accomplished writer steering her own course!
on 5 October 2014
This is my favorite book in the world and one of the only books that I've read twice (and will probably read again). I usually don't appreciate books just for their language or style but this one really moves me and I found that many parts and lines stuck with me. This book is a must for any Jeanette Winterson fan, and personally I consider it to be her best work.
on 19 November 2015
This is one of the sexiest, most interesting, most thought provoking books that I have ever read. The language itself feels like a caress on your skin. I was given this first as a gift years ago, and have bought dozens of copies to give to people, or to read to friends.
on 2 June 2015
This is sheer poetry, full of metaphor, full of musings on life and death and with a love/lust story running through it.
on 20 May 2016
Everything spot on - thanks
on 28 June 2013
I have never read anything as beautiful as this book. Not only the story, but the writing of it. This will be my desert island book. I shall read it over and over. And know myself better each time.
on 18 August 2016
Read this on my kindle then bought it in print to have and to hold. Lovely, heartfelt writing. I loved it.