VINE VOICEon 30 January 2005
Rudy Baylor is just like a lot of other law students, he's worked hard through law school, and he dreams of the day he'll make it as a high paid attorney at a big law firm. He's been lucky, he has found a firm willing to take him on providing he passes the bar exam. However disaster strikes and the firm he is about to join is taken over and he now faces unemployment and a huge amount of student debt.
His only chance is a bad faith case that involves an insurance company who failed to pay out on a boy dying of leukaemia despite his mother making all the necessary payments. Worse still the boy may actually have been saved if the company had paid out when it was supposed to.
Ironically, the firm involved is the very one who cost Rudy his job and when similar cases begin arising throughout the country a trial that will be one of the biggest in U.S. history looks inevitable.
For me this was one of, if not my favourite John Grisham book. I read it in a few days finding the story addictive, the characters empathetic and the plot gripping and twisting from start to finish. I've never seen the film version, but i would highly recommend this book, 5 stars!
on 21 September 1999
This was the 4th or 5th Grisham book I read. I got a bit concerned when I noted it was written in 'I' mode (or whatever you call that in English). That concern was quickly forgotten (the brief introduction to Rudy's dad in the beginning had me laugh right away and suggested good reading coming) and I almost read it non-stop and it was very difficult to put down. Seldom do I laugh aloud reading a book alone at home but this book had me doing it a couple of times. And I wouldn't have expected that from a Grisham book. My best reading experience for a long time. I'm halfway through the 'Pelican Brief' at the moment and its great too. But not as entertaining as Rudy Baylor's story. I have learned a lot about the American legal system reading Grisham. I think most civilized people are dreaded by that crazy system and hopefully Grisham's writing makes a small contribution towards, eventually, changing that madness. When I find a new, favourite author I always get very concerned when I realize that there aren't that many more books to be read by that author. This feeling is particularly pronounced with Grisham.
on 6 November 2007
I so much enjoyed reading this book. The writing is extraordinary, John Grisham shows us again that he's an expert. When you read the book, you'll think you're near the main character, that you're sitting right beside him. The moral message of the book jumps right into your face and you also suffer and laugh with the main characters.

In his first courtroom thriller since A Time To Kill, John Grisham tells the story of a young man barely out of law school who finds himself taking on one of the most powerful, corrupt, and ruthless companies in America - and exposing a complex, multibillion-dollar insurance scam.

In his final semester of law school, Rudy Baylor is required to provide free legal advice to a group of senior citizens, and it is there that he meets his first "clients", Dot and Buddy Black. Their son, Donny Ray, is dying of leukemia, and their insurance company has flatly refused to pay for his medical treatments, a bone marrow transplant.

While Rudy is at first sceptical, he soon realises that the Blacks really have been shockingly mistreated by the huge company, and that he just may have stumbled upon one of the largest insurance frauds anyone's ever seen - and one of the most lucrative and important cases in the history of civil litigation.

The problem is, Rudy's flat broke, he has no job, hasn't even passes the bar, and is about to go head-to-head with one of the best defense attorneys - and powerful industries - in America.

I would give this book five stars, because it's the funniest novel Grisham has ever written. There's so much laughter, but - and I think that's life - there are also parts where tears will come running down your face. It's such a sensitive side of the main character Grisham shows, and that also tells us that Grisham's writings are varied and not always the same lawyer stories we expect.

Please, read the book, it's worth every minute you spend with it.

(Written by Stopfel !!!!!!!!!!! )
on 2 March 2006
When I was searching for another John Grisham book to read having finished The Broker, I was looking for one of his older titles. I was unsure at first as to whether I would enjoy it with the narrative told by the main character, Rudy. But I needn`t of worried. Fantastic. Certainly up there with his best works like The Firm and A Time To Kill, The Rainmaker is one of those stories where you feel attached to the character and want to root for him almost all the way through. The Premise being it involves a lawsuit taken against an insurance company which refused to pay out for an operation to save its client`s life, this really puts you on the side of the client. Rudy of course leads the charge against the company in a new (but small) firm with just a local contact who cant pass the bar exam to help. The writing style puts you at ease immediately and with various courtroom chapters throughout the majority of the book, it grips you just like The Firm did. Granted his more recent work lacks some of the freshness and punch it used to have but if you like John Grisham, then I advise you to read his earliest work too and you will not be disappointed. And whatever you do, dont use the film as an indication of how good the book is, as always, please just read the book first and enjoy the unfolding story. His earliest books are the best with the odd exception of his newer novels, but The Rainmaker is definitely up in his top four.
on 27 September 2002
Well... well... well. After reading The Street Lawyer, The Runaway Jury and then The Partner, I thought I had seen the best of Mr Grisham and settled down to give my racing heart a rest by reading his other works which surely can't be as nail biting as The Partner, or The Runaway Jury.... I was proved very very wrong. Perhaps Im being nieve thinking that i can have a 'stress free' time reading Grisham but The Rainmaker is possably the best book Ive ever read! The plot didn't appeal to me at the outset. After The Partner, an insurance company being sued sounds rather tame... I guess I should have known better. The twists, turns, highs and lows of Rudy's quest for justice had me laughing, crying, cursing and when the section U incident was occuring in the court room, i found myself yelling and laughing out loud in the middle of a crowded train. The ending for me, at first, left me dissapointed and confused why Grisham had done this, but now I look on it as the most relevent part of the book... the point of the whole thing being that dispite all hard effort and what seems to be a fair result at the outset, life if inevitably unfair. The last few pages were a nice touch though (there has to be some light at the end of the tunnel). A must for any reader!
on 24 February 2001
The beginning of this book is a little boring but if you sit through it you will get to one of the best books every written. This was my second Grisham book i had ever read. It is one of those unputdownable books. I would recommend this book to anyone. People seem to put down the Rainmaker in comparison to other Grisham books such as the Partner but i would disagree. The plot was gripping -i stayed up all night.
on 21 April 2016
Having watched so many film adaptations of John Grishams books, I can't believe that this is the first book I have read by this author. A brilliant story with some great characters. David versus Goliath, what could be better?
on 3 December 2015
I have read a number of John Grisham's books and this one more than just gave me the Grisham hit I was looking for!!
I never wanted the book to end as I really felt as though I'd got to know Ruby Baylor, the newly qualified lawyer, well and when the book finished I just knew I'm going to miss his adventures. I'm hoping for a sequel like Grisham did with a Time to kill.
Haha which makes that the next Grisham I'm going to read on my Kindle. "Sycamore Row" so I can catch up with Jake Brigance and fill the void.
on 3 October 2016
On of my favourite authors.. I love his cynicism.. his Irreverent and occasionally dark humour. This novel is another perfect example of this author's skill to engage the reader right from the first page. His characterisations are perfectly pitched and believable. Lots of pompous egos ruthlessly dispatched - great fun! As with a number of Grisham's novels, the plot slowly builds but that's not a problem as the characters he deftly introduces new characters and twists and turns, that keep the reader fully committed. Loved it!
on 1 December 1998
Ranks along side The Firm as Grisham at his best. Any law student can relate to the struggle for jobs faced by the lead character. Based on a similar formula to The Firm - ie idealistic Law graduate with high ethics entering the real world of lawyers where he finds that very little ethics exist.Bound to make potential lawyers think twice about there future careers. As usual the book beats the movie - although Matt Damon did afine job, and Danny De Vito is perfect for his character! A dry sense of humour is also present which is missing from his previous books, and Grisham's forte of great characterisation is also present.