on 15 June 2013
I have experience of rural India but only visited a couple of the larger cities.l have also come across such icredible humane people like Dominique Lapierre, albeit they had very little financial backing to start with. Such people are living saints to have the courage, detemination and faith in their cause to be able to leave the western world with all it comforts and help the desparately poor, lame and ill.
This is India in the raw but without the smell, heat, dirt(filth) and feel the discomfort of hunger and bugs..
A wonderful account of a hard life. It would be an eye opener for the idle and disaffected of the western world.
on 5 September 2008
Most beautiful book on India I have ever read. Don't hesitate and be put off by the movie. Movie scores 1 out of 10 and the book scores 11 out of 10.
on 11 August 2013
French with English sub- titles which are no bother. The story is beautiful and although slightly different than the book, it tells a very true story about a country which is very difficult to understand but very captivating to westerners. Actors are perfectly matched.
on 2 April 2014
One of the best books I have read about India, it really gives you a sense of how desperate the lives of the poor can become, and yet how their struggle is inspiring. A must-read for anyone going to India.
on 31 January 2017
A wonderfully descriptive book.I haven't been to India,but reading this made me feel I could smell,hear & see everything the writer had experienced.Very moving.
on 7 March 2014
Ordered this book as a book group read. The book is in an excellent condition and was packaged perfectly, with extra plastic to keep it dry and clean.
on 30 March 2013
Wonderful read. Humbling and inspiring at the same time. Will shake your self confidence a little. Any one know where I can hire the DVD?
on 30 April 2013
Well written compelling and thought provoking.tells of a world we do not begin to comprehend and the indominable nature of the poor
on 2 January 2016
I love this book so much this us my fourth copy I decided to use this as my secret want gift fir work well worth a read.
on 21 October 2014
Probably an over-used term when describing this book.... Inspiring