The Girl Next Door
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 15 December 2017
I really cannot get into this sort of story - too many characters saying too many things which you have to remember in case they are going to be relevant down the line. I would rather do a cryptic crossword.
on 6 October 2015
What a disappointment. It says Ruth Rendell on the cover, but did she really write this? Far too many characters, some of whom make little or no impact on the plot (such as it is). What's is about - aging and what to do in your retirement (especially if you've accumulated a small fortune along the way)? I must admit I found this book boring and not at all up to the Rendell standard of previous works.
I was saddened to hear of her death, but considering this book, maybe there should be a mandatory retirement age for writers too?
on 14 September 2017
Although Rendell never failed to give a really good mystery and an unfailingly well constructed story I did not find this wuite up to her usual strength? Very enjoyable nevertheless
on 18 May 2017
This is a lovely idea, reminding me of Hitchcock. There is a murder, but we know who did it, and then we fast forward about 60 years when it comes to light. It is about the impact of this discovery on a group of children at the time of the murder, now getting older, rather than on the murder investigation. On the minus side, the writing is in a kind of slightly annoying 'What I did on my holiday' style.
on 4 September 2016
At last! a mystery that involves people who are of retirement age. I enjoyed the way it reflected England over the past 80 years and also accepted that the aged still need sex and romance. It also showed the sad lives many middle class women lived in the days when careers other than housewife and mother were frowned upon. Although we knew "who dun it" from the beginning, it it not take from the unraveling of this excellent story.
on 30 October 2015
This was, as other reviewers have said , not quite what one might expect from a Ruth Rendell book.
For me, although the beginning seemed to promise little, it gathered pace, and , as one of the same age as most of the protagonists,I became more and more engrossed in their lives, increasingly sympathetic with their problems, their feelings of being entrapped.
Certainly,by having to behave as their children, grandchildren, even their grandchildren thought they should behave.
on 1 September 2016
Thought this would be a murder mystery which it was in a way. But mainly about old people who met as children and their lives which involved a lot of dying. I wanted to finish it but was glad when I had.
on 24 December 2016
Liked the plot and setting. Wasn't so keen on the conclusion ...or at least the speed at which it was reached. Would recommend it.
on 3 October 2015
Couldn't warm to the story on this one and to be honest after the first few chapters I wasn't remotely interested in the characters. I find RR a bit hit and miss sometimes.
on 24 August 2016
I found the book quite boring.It didn't grip you with the storyline.Not one to shout about.