on 8 May 2014
At the age of almost 70, I bought this book in Kindle format, to try to find out why I failed miserably in my first and only year of Latin at school, 59 years ago. I was politely advised to give up the subject! I wish I had been given and read this book and practiced its methods from the start. Not only does it explain what you need to understand in order to learn Latin, but also what you need to understand to learn good English Grammar and many other languages based on grammatical method. The texts presented to me were "Civis Romanus" and they obfuscated me with what I found incomprehensible at that time. This book has brought me to a better understanding of the structure of language, including the technique of parsing sentences prior to attempting translation and comprehension of the text. I agree totally with Mr Gwynne's comments about what is wrong with modern methods of teaching (and the same argument probably applies to the teaching and understanding of mathematics although that is a separate issue).
55 Comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 December 2014
Back in the last century, I studied Latin and got a good A Level .I have sometimes been mocked for this Why? they ask me. Well partly because if you do it well, it is an entry to some of the most beautiful poetry ever written, it will help you with long and difficult English words and because it has the satisfaction of solving a cryptic crossword. It uses a part of the brain that often goes to waste.
Now, with a gradnson about to embark on this amazing language, as the only person in our large family who knows any Latin at all I thought I had better take another look.
It is truly horrible to realise how much I have forgotten and no, it is not like riding a bike, I had to work at it ,but fortunatley it all had some familiarity about it.
This book is what you need if you are serious, if you really want to learn Latin properly. If you want to just dip in and get a few phrases, choose one of the many other books on the market that teach in a fragmented way without ever drumming in the basics which are ESSENTIAL

I am afraid it is like learning your times tables you just have to keep reciting Amo Amas Amat...etc till it is lodged as firmly as 2 times 2 is 4. This guy Gwynnes could be my own Latin master there aren't many shortcuts.

Don't buy it if you aren't prepared to put in the work it is hard, but it is ultimately the most rewarding subject you can study: you may love it even get a bit obsessed, as your vocabulary builds up and you can dissect English words for their roots
I chose this book on line, pot luck. I am so glad I didn't go for an easy piecemeal option. This is great whether you are refeshing your school work or if you are truly serious about studying from scratch.
on 21 May 2016
My wife and I are home educating our two children now aged eleven and thirteen. Three years ago we decided to introduce them to Latin via the Cambridge Latin Course. The children enjoyed the entertaining material but, after a years study, it became apparent that they were not actually learning Latin at all. There were merely learning to guess at the grammar of carefully contrived texts written according to a themed story. You cannot guess at the grammar of an ancient language so this course was leading nowhere useful.

In the summer of 2014 I read the newly published Gwynne’s Latin. The arguments for memorising all the Latin grammar were most compelling as well as the explanation of why modern teaching methods prevent children from becoming fully functional in Latin.

We were so convinced by Gwynne’s Latin that we abandoned the Cambridge Course and started again with Gwynne’s Latin following the book verbatim. It has, to say the least, been an interesting experience.

Both children adapted very quickly to learning grammar and vocabulary by heart. For example, the verb ‘Amo – I love’ has 144 endings. These, like other verbs, have to be committed to memory. This is not difficult if you learn to recite the conjugations out loud as they have a natural cadence. These are very well demonstrated by Chloe Gwynne on the book's website. With twenty minutes practice each day it took the children about three months before they were able to use the grammar and vocabulary to translate English into Latin without reference. This is something not even required in secondary examinations. The confidence this instils in them is notable and they both find the experience very satisfying. Their ability to learn large amounts of complex information has been considerably expanded and, as a result, the elder child will commence the learning of classical Greek in the Autumn. This is an even greater test of memory and really would not be possible without the experience of learning, and applying from memory, complex Latin grammar.

Latin has become a big part of our lives and, as a family, we are more than satisfied with Gwynne’s teaching. He has raised our expectations considerably.

There appears to be some kind of institutional bias against learning by heart. This is misplaced. Many professions require lots of complex information to be committed to memory. Why not include this form of teaching in schools? As Neville Gwynne points out it worked well up until the 1960’s.

Gwynne’s Latin is not easy but neither is it overly hard. It has worked for us because we embraced the need to learn grammar and vocabulary by heart. Far from being a chore this is, in practice, enjoyable and something the children actively enjoy.
on 26 September 2016
Gwynne is passionate about latin and that really helps with readability, I struggle to put it down as its all the better to learn from someone who cares so deeply about a subject. Especially with regard to latin, Gywnne explains how it goes beyond language learning, helping out your english, other romance languages and skills like problem solving. Its like a gym for your brain.
on 3 March 2017
I did not buy this for myself, but for a friend who is learning Latin in her retirement. When she opened her belated Christmas present, she said she loved it and what a useful addition to her other books as the emphasis in her U3A class is on reading.
on 11 May 2017
I learned Latin many years ago. This book revives my knowledge and then some. Wish I had found it sooner.
on 16 March 2017
This was a present for someone.
on 3 April 2017
nothing to add
on 30 March 2015
Clear text, interesting
on 13 April 2017
Great find for me. As described and hardly used. Better than expected