on 19 August 2016
This started off pretty well. The beginning was funny and engaging but then it went downhill. The humorous tone which seemed so natural at the beginning started to sound forced, the topics discussed seemed to be pulled out of thin air and there wasn't really anything that made me feel as though I knew Mindy any better than I previously did.

The middle became tedious and when I FINALLY reached the end, I found myself skimming the last few chapters (although it is an extremely easy read- the writing isn't A* literature but it flows really nicely)

I'm quite disappointed in this- I don't know if it's just because I'm not a huge fan of nonfiction or because the book was actually not the best, but I had higher hopes. For now, I'll stick to watching The Mindy Project.
VINE VOICEon 22 April 2014
Mindy Kaling is my idol. In her early 30's, Mindy already has 10 seasons of the office under her belt as well as a degree from Dartmouth and an awesome self titled TV show moving into its third season. This collection of anecdotes about her childhood and trying to make it in New York is not only wonderfully written but very inspiring. Mindy grew up in Massachusetts and loved watching SNL and comedy series on TV while her friends were into boys and shopping at the mall. It's really inspiring to know that someone with such talent can create female centric comedy in the same league as her peers, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. If you're a fan of Mindy's, you probably already own this book. If you're stumbling across this - BUY IT. She's fun, quirky, modest and entertaining. I definitely want to hang out with her.
on 3 January 2015
I thought this was highly amusing, very fast to read and quite insightful into Mindy's life - you can tell every word is her own as it sounds identical to her voice you see on TV. I did find it funny too, I love her sense of humour. I would buy it, its excellent value for money and you could finish it on an average size journey. My only slight niggle was that it could have been a little bit more personal - but then its a funny book and perhaps not meant to focus on her break ups etc! If you like Mindy like I do you will like this and I am 33, so its not just for kids!
on 30 August 2016
I bought this book to make me laugh but it was not as funny as mindy is on TV.
Some of her jokes are unapropriate and she mentions rape alot. When did that become ok?
4 people found this helpful
on 9 July 2015
I laughed so much reading this! Seriously, Mindy Kaling is one amazing writer and the only complaint I have is that it only took me about a day to finish it, I need more! (And have to wait until September for her next one:()

The book is honest in the best of ways and really really funny. I would recommend this even if you're not a fan (or have seen) The Mindy Project!
on 8 November 2016
A very funny and witty read. She's a very smart lady and alludes to a certain type of anxiety that we all experience from time to time. Even if you like her a little bit, you'll love her by the end of this book.
on 17 August 2015
Mindy isn't as popular in the UK as she is in the US, but I saw her book had good reviews and I thought I'd give it a go. It was really funny and I enjoyed the humour. It made me feel a lot more likely to watch shows with her in, and I liked the autobiographical nature of it, particularly around her career and big breaks.
on 20 May 2016
Mindy Kaling is such a talented writer; this can be seen through her hit show, The Office, and now through this book. What made this book so appealing to me is that Mindy is brutally honest about her life and life in general. She talks about the struggles that she had to go through and shows that it was not easy for her to get to where she is now. This is a book where she hits the right balance of hysterically funny whilst also conveying more serious and important messages to young girls and budding writers. My favourite thing however is that she totally conveys that psycho eccentric side that all women have and she's not afraid to do so. A really quick and engaging read that I would thoroughly recommend.
One person found this helpful
on 26 May 2015
I bought this book because after hours of marathoning The Office US, I realised Mindy's name kept appearing on the producer/writers credits. I'm not a huge fan of her character Kelly, nor have I ever watched the Mindy Project, but I was intrigued to find out more about her since discovering that she is incredibly involved in one of my favourite comedies.
Her writing style is easy to read, it's almost like sitting with a friend for a few hours, chatting about when someone at Starbucks gave you a dirty look for no reason. She is instantly likeable, unashamedly herself and very sweet. It's not a guide for 'how to make it in television', but more a 'hey, you may have seen me on tv. I have some stories that you may find amusing, and I totally cry at everything too. You're normal. Want to hang out?'. Yes Mindy, I do.
on 9 September 2014
This was highly entertaining. Like many, I've watched Kaling on The Office and laughed hysterically at her character Kelly, whilst simultaneously assuming that Kaling must be- at least somewhat- like that in real life. This is just one of the 'concerns' she addresses in her book, which is Kaling's own brand of hilarious the whole way through. I was delighted every time I came across an 'Office' anecdote- I was like a dog with a bone whenever the book touched on her relationship with any of her 'Office' co-stars- but all of Kaling's anecdotes are brilliant, as are her general tips and observations on being a girl. I would love to be Kaling's friend- she seems like an awesome person to hang out with, and this is the closest I'll probably ever come to having a conversation with her, but it's almost- almost- as good.