Customer reviews

Gok's Wok
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 29 June 2017
Loads of variety just didn't like it as much as first one
on 7 June 2017
Ok
on 17 May 2017
great book love it thank you
on 11 June 2017
Ok but I wanted only wok cooking
on 22 November 2013
I bought this book for an amazing price and I've already made one of the recipes ,the chicken pea and okra curry, I used quorn chicken as I'm vegetarian, and it tasted fab.My partner enjoyed it too and its a dish I will def be doing again.Looking forward to trying more recipes in this book now.
on 5 May 2017
I found this book really disappointing.

I have Gok's book, Gok cooking Chinese, and I could cook everything from it, I had some friends for dinner last week, cooked five things from that book and all were delicious. This book, I found nothing that inspired me. Unfortunately, Gok has gone the way of a lot of cooks, Atul Kutcher amongst them who think we want all our dishes now Asian inspired, like for instance beef cobbler and grilled pork chop with cider salsa !! I wanted good Chinese recipes, to expand my repertoire. And as for a recipe for sweet potato fries. PLEASE !!!!!
on 26 April 2017
Amazing book
on 1 December 2013
Thoroughly recommend to any novice asian cook. Good easy recipes although some ingredients are hard to source. I loved it.
on 22 October 2013
Brilliant. This is another delightful book from planet Gok. All the recipes I've tried have been quick, easy and really delicious.

Gok says of his Thai Green Curry, "..it may not be 100 per cent authentic, but it is 100 per cent delicious". This seems to apply across the board to many of his recipes which are largely Asian fusion. What is also a real delight is that you can pick up most of the stuff from the supermarket on the way home and cook it straight away. No long marinading and no obscure ingredients.

In addition, the book is beautifully styled. Even the dreaded salt, fat and calorie quantities are presented in the style of a chinese seal - very attractive.

The only drawback is that the number of people the recipes are meant to feed is clearly aimed at supermodels. Ordinary mortals will want to eat much more but that is because everything is so tasty.

Oh, and if you bought this book hoping to cook the Shanghai Chicken and Spring Greens, Malaysian-style Prawn and Crab Soup and Spicy Beef Thai Noodles Gok-style mentioned in the publisher's synopsis you might be a tad disappointed. These recipes aren't in it - maybe they'll be in his next.

Apart from that well done Gok - mission accomplished. Five stars all round.
on 8 January 2016
It's not authentic Chinese.
Plus his idea of 'healthy' food is all wrong. He thinks low fat is healthy. In fact low carb is healthy. He gives nutritional info in terms of protein , fat , free sugar, completely ignoring the enormous amounts of noodles, rice or dumplings. They break down to sugar within the body within an hour. I know, I am diabetic and I have a glucose meter.
Gok you don't have carbohydrate intolerance, so you can lose and maintain your weight on low fat. 20% of the population have T2 diabetes or the predisposition. Carbohydrate is not healthy.
Are you stupid Gok? Do you think that starch, consisting of long chains of sugars joined together don't start to break down in the mouth with the aid of salivary amylase to simple sugars, the minute you start to eat them?
No you just don't know any better. But your dietitians who are calculating your food values should know better!
Please rethink!
Wouldn't use this book as any kind of reference for good food or Chinese cooking.