Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 22 September 2015
My first baking book, and I felt it was a little fragmented. There were points where measurements for ingredients were not provided, missing instructions etc. but there were good parts where the details around how the dough develops once mixed and common pitfalls were explained which as a beginner I found very helpful.
Ultimately I got the impression that it was not reviewed before it went to print. But there were a few good recipes that worked and the bread that did work was tasty.
on 21 January 2017
A brilliant book. My bread has massively improved thanks to this book. Why? A couple of reasons: firstly, the author explains the science of bread making on an easy to understand level, he outlines the importance of gluten development in bread, how hydration affects bread and goes into comprehensive detail about sourdough, etc etc. He then walks you through basic breads like simple white bread, baguettes and rolls, as the book progresses the recipes get harder and more complex but by then Morton assumes you have build a solid foundation of practical and theoretical understanding of bread making by then. I moved with confidence into more difficult breads and i'm now proud of my bread. In summary, a diligently assembled book and a systematic approach to improving the reader's bread-making skills which leads to a very happy reader!

Thank you James Morton.
on 21 February 2017
A brilliant brilliant book. I had almost given up on bread making and tried many times before. James introduction is what gave me the break through that I was desperately seeking. He has an amazing ability to reach and make easy to comprehend things with a simplicity that is very rare.

One of the best books on bread that I have; and I have a few!
on 8 June 2015
I am new to bread making and spent many hours looking at a variety of books which could help me develop my skills. This is the book I was looking for. It is well set out, lots of clear instructions and the recipes work. I'm slowly working my way through the recipes in the book. Buy it, you won't be disappointed.
on 13 January 2017
Finally I understand bread chemistry....Great book...
on 17 March 2017
Love this book. Am still learning but even my attempts that don't look quite right taste absolutely wonderful. I've always wanted to be able to bake bread well and this gives me the full explanation as to why my attempts in the past have been hum drum. It's all taking me a bit longer than the suggested timings, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
on 10 April 2017
I have since bought several copies of this book as gifts. I was very proud of my first effort and each loaf is an exciting discovery. I like the way James describes the methods and processes, simple with no techno babble. Bread making for real people. One day I may attempt sour dough, but the basics are perfect for me.
on 26 April 2017
Great book
on 19 January 2014
Ideal for anyone who goes out to work you can prepare the dough before you leave for . Minimal amount of time in the kitchen, so you can fit your bread making around the household chores. A good read vey informative and explains the processes of bread making. Ideal for anyone interested in baking and bread making
on 2 December 2013
This book was worth buying if only to find out that I don't need to knead bread: it's sufficient to leave it to rise all by itself. And there's much more to this book than this major piece of information. A great buy.