on 22 September 2015
My first baking book, and I felt it was a little fragmented. There were points where measurements for ingredients were not provided, missing instructions etc. but there were good parts where the details around how the dough develops once mixed and common pitfalls were explained which as a beginner I found very helpful.
Ultimately I got the impression that it was not reviewed before it went to print. But there were a few good recipes that worked and the bread that did work was tasty.
on 21 February 2017
A brilliant brilliant book. I had almost given up on bread making and tried many times before. James introduction is what gave me the break through that I was desperately seeking. He has an amazing ability to reach and make easy to comprehend things with a simplicity that is very rare.

One of the best books on bread that I have; and I have a few!
on 21 January 2017
A brilliant book. My bread has massively improved thanks to this book. Why? A couple of reasons: firstly, the author explains the science of bread making on an easy to understand level, he outlines the importance of gluten development in bread, how hydration affects bread and goes into comprehensive detail about sourdough, etc etc. He then walks you through basic breads like simple white bread, baguettes and rolls, as the book progresses the recipes get harder and more complex but by then Morton assumes you have build a solid foundation of practical and theoretical understanding of bread making by then. I moved with confidence into more difficult breads and i'm now proud of my bread. In summary, a diligently assembled book and a systematic approach to improving the reader's bread-making skills which leads to a very happy reader!

Thank you James Morton.
on 11 February 2017
One of the best bread books. Easy to follow & great results. Trust him - he's a doctor
on 8 June 2015
I am new to bread making and spent many hours looking at a variety of books which could help me develop my skills. This is the book I was looking for. It is well set out, lots of clear instructions and the recipes work. I'm slowly working my way through the recipes in the book. Buy it, you won't be disappointed.
on 17 March 2017
Love this book. Am still learning but even my attempts that don't look quite right taste absolutely wonderful. I've always wanted to be able to bake bread well and this gives me the full explanation as to why my attempts in the past have been hum drum. It's all taking me a bit longer than the suggested timings, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
on 14 July 2015
Easy to read and not in the least bit 'cheffy'. I actually read the book on my Kindle whilst on holiday and it was good, light reading. I now have his other book "How Baking Works", all I need now is another holiday so I can read it.

James's bread recipes are well explained and I'm looking forward to trying a few soon.
on 13 January 2017
Finally I understand bread chemistry....Great book...
on 10 April 2017
I have since bought several copies of this book as gifts. I was very proud of my first effort and each loaf is an exciting discovery. I like the way James describes the methods and processes, simple with no techno babble. Bread making for real people. One day I may attempt sour dough, but the basics are perfect for me.
on 11 June 2017
Great book, which covers a lot. I was new to sour dough, but not any more. I did do a bit more research on making the starter, as that bit was a bit brief. My staple is a miche loaf in tins, as the loaf spreads out too much without. I just remove from tins for last 15 mins to get nice crust.