TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 August 2014
If my review is based on how effective the book has been regarding helping me lose weight, then five stars! I was aware of Atkins beforehand of course, but this definitely kept me on track with the most important aspects of any weight loss program - 1) How it works, 2) What to eat and not eat, 3) What to do if you hit a plateau. Even the case studies - which are as one-eyed as you would expect - are useful as they are extreme examples of fat people, ones with health issues, that are now better managed.

Atkins is more sophisticated than the "all fat and no carbs" that it was trumpeted as, years ago; and if done properly you`ll have a balanced diet. I eat FAR more vegetables than I did before, and as you go up the "carb ladder", you`ll be able to introduce fruits, a range of vegetables, as well as (almost) unrestricted meat and protein. The various Atkins snack and shakes have been invaluable too, and it is only their expense that I might grumble about.

Personally, I`ve not found Atkins to be restrictive at all - I`m perfectly happy with the list of induction foods, and have found no need to go outside of this since I started the diet in mid-June. It might be difficult if you like alcohol; fortunately I don`t drink so haven`t missed out on anything. Most importantly, within two months I was 30lbs lighter, many belt-notches smaller, and looking better too!

But the best thing, an unexpected bonus - I`ve suffered from headaches since childhood. Now I haven`t had one for eight weeks. There must be a link with this, and the sugar-free diet I now have. The only caveat would be, I wonder if my cholesterol is higher or lower now? It was high before, and now I`m eating a balanced diet with more vegetables I`m confident it`s lower.

The low-carb lifestyle is locked-in for life (even though I`m now at my goal weight)!

PS. Update, March 2015 - I`ve lost 63lbs, even though my original goal was to lose 46lb. It was just so easy to lose. I`ve dropped 10 inches on my waist, gone through three belts, and have never felt better and happier with myself. And I still don`t feel restricted with the food choices. following this lifestyle is the best decision I ever made :)
22 comments| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 January 2014
As the title suggests this is a more user friendly approach to the Atkins approach defined in "New Atkins New You", it contains practical guidance in a simplified form with more pictures and less science.

The science is relegated to a chapter at the back by Dr Jeff Volek which is fully referenced for the curious like me.

The book has been "Anglicised" from its US origins and includes fast food / eatery brands familiar in the UK like Nando's. The vocabulary has also been converted so you won't be confused by cilantro and zucchini (whatever they might be).

Our labelling system is different to the US which means their "net carb" approach is not routinely applicable to our food labels, unlike the previous book (New Atkins New You) this is acknowledged but one can still be left a bit confused by the use of a US label to illustrate the point. We really needed a crystal clear explanation that the "Carbohydrates" on a UK label are the thing the Atkins approach controls - eg 20 grams/day in Phase 1 - and that this is different to the US "Total Carbohydrate" which includes Fiber (sic). So I subtracted one star for this, as it fell a bit short of perfect clarity.

Overall a readable and practical guide to the low carb diet that comes out better than low fat diets in numerous clinical studies.
on 26 September 2015
Liked this better than original, got to the point, easy to follow with lots of relevant background.Easy to source ingredients and plenty of opportunity to cook in bulk and freeze
on 17 July 2016
Lost a stubborn 10 pounds in 2 months applying the underlying principles of this book - less carbs and more protein & veg, although I didn't take the diet too seriously - days where I ate bread, cookies & cake, weight loss seemed manageable and I knew at any time if I were to crank it up and be strict with the diet I could lose 5 pounds in a week.
on 5 July 2015
Easy to follow and effective. Everything you need to know to lose weight and keep it off.ive been doing it for just four days and feel so much better
on 27 August 2014
Good book very informative. I was just going to do the diet off the Internet but glad I brought this book as it tells you things it doesn't on the net
on 4 April 2016
A short book with details on starting and continuing with the Atkins diet. There is little science data but as I had already read this in another book this wasn't an issue for me. Overall it is a good summary of what foods are acceptable on this diet, the rough amounts and how to go from one phase to another
on 13 March 2014
The fact is, that the basic idea behind the Atkins diet is feasible and does REALLY work... However, this recipe book is NOT focused on a single person, nor even a family...

This has book has proved to me to be ...

a) time-consuming (Exhausting! - you just spend all day prepping your next meal!)
b) expensive (and how!)
c) incredibly wasteful (you buy 250g of Soured Cream for example, and then only get the chance to use 1 tbsp twice in a fortnight!)

....and then! There's the vegetables - You can use a quarter of a swede, or an eighth of a green pepper, for example, at least once a week and an eighth of a red pepper once a fortnight!

I confess that my primary difficulty with this book - is that each recipe provided obviously comes with a 'Serves notation'.
This book gives recipes that serve - 1 person (rare), 2, 4. 6, 7 (yes! 7) 8, 9, 10 and 12...
I rest my case...
in exhaustion...
...and poverty...
on 5 October 2014
I love this book. I have used it so many times since beginning the New Atkins plan. 5 weeks and 1 stone less and I would highly recommend it.
on 13 October 2015
Im doing it my mother aged 90 and my daughter aged 30 it is easy you can buy all necessary through amazon and hopefully it will work as its easy to stick to and does not require you to do massive amounts of exercise every hour !!! LOL lets be honest when you are overweight it is very difficult to start a diet and start massive exercising at the same time, near impossible. Read it and think about it , its taking us back to how people ate 100 years ago and no processed food No high sugar lo fat in it and the snacks and the bread is just like my grandma made 70 years ago , no one was overweight then.