on 4 August 2014
An engrossing and beautifully written book. I can completely understand why it has received such rave reviews. The story is very touching.
on 8 March 2015
A compelling read, showing the human face of war, poverty and the class structured society during the 1st world war. Had a twist at the end!
on 2 March 2014
What it feels like to be shell-shocked - assume the description is authentic. Not exactly fun, but well written. Reaonably unputdownable.
on 23 April 2014
The Lie is a novel that I had read an awful lot about, and I was looking forward to ticking it off my list of books that I 'must' read this year. I must confess to not having read anything by the author before, which seems terrible, as she has an extensive back catalogue of books that really should appeal to me!

I digress.. The Lie is set in the aftermath of World War I, with flashbacks to before and during the Great War. We meet our protagonist Daniel as he recieves his nightly visit from his former Best friend Frederick, whom appears as a ghost. Frederick and Daniel had very different upbringings, but remained firm friends into the war. Their backgrounds apparent as Daniel joins the ranks, and Frederick enters the forces as an officer. Tragically Frederick loses his life in battle much to Daniels despair. Dunmore's account of the trenches and warfare are gripping, realistic, and do not shy away from the graphic detail of the horror of War.

Daniel mental struggle does not dissipate during daylight hours, for the dilapidated buildings that he inhabits belong to an elderly member of the community, Mary Pascoe who no one can remember seeing for an awfully long time. Daniel has merely carried out Mary's dying wishes, but in doing so he finds he has to lie to those around him. This does not concern him overly, until he is reacquainted with Fredericks sister, the war widowed Felicia.

Both damaged by War, slowly Felicia and Daniel become close again, and as he begins to confide in her, Daniel realises that he must tell the truth before he loses everything.
Personally I found this novel fairly slow paced aside from the last few chapters. I found myself wanting something more to happen between Daniel and Felicia, and if I'm honest I wasn't sure about the ending of the novel, and found it a little predictable. For me it was the difference between a three and a half and a four star rating. Overall it was an enjoyable read, and if you do give it a go, let me know what you think.
on 28 December 2014
Superb writing, kept me hooked, couldn't put it down.
I'd recommend it to anyone.
Good view of the times..

Brilliant
on 6 February 2014
Again Helen Dunmore recreates rural Cornish life in the early years of the last century. Very sensitively written, she really succeeds in involving the reader in the deepest feelings of the characters I found it hard to put the book down, and was sorry to have come to the end.
on 16 March 2014
Well written .Ireally admire how Helen Dunmore has written from different and varied view points. it is an original take on a war story
on 13 July 2014
Fantastic - a Credit to Amazon - What was advertised was what was delivered just as you should expect but that is not always the case.
on 30 October 2014
I read this in one sitting. Very moving. Very thought provoking and ultimately, very sad. Suited to a quiet time alone by the fire.
on 16 November 2014
Poetically written description of the effects of WW1 on the main character and others helpless in circumstances beyond their control.