Just For Christmas
Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 February 2014
Having been looking forward to reading this book for ages, I was so excited to win a signed copy in a Twitter competition. I had fallen in love with the lovely cover with its wonderful spattering of glitter to make it look especially festive.

The reader isimmediately drawn into Alex Munro’s world. She has recently left her home she shared with her father in Edinburgh and has moved to the other end of the country to a lovely little Cornish village of Poldore (fictional) to become the harbourmaster much to the amusement and wonderment of the villagers.

It is clear that Alex is also running away from some romantic mishap which is slowly revealed to the reader. Alex makes some new friends in the village and also meets Ruan who seems quite remote and not as immediately friendly as the others but Alex’s interest is piqued by this elusive man.

The writing in this book is magical, the setting of the fictional village of Poldore is vivid and beautiful and the other villagers are wonderfully drawn and most of all I fell in love with the dog that Alex reluctantly becomes the new owner of , Buoy- he is a loveable scamp and plays a key role later in the book which nearly bought me to tears.

There is warmth, humour, friendship and love in this lovely Christmas tale which weaves a wonderful spell and I think I am correct in thinking that this may not be the last visit to Poldore- I am counting down the days already!!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 9 February 2015
Alex is a harbour master (mistress ? manager ?). She has been in love with Marcus for most of her life but he sees her as just a friend so when he becomes engaged to the girly Milly and she discovers that her father has been lying to her for many years she moves away from home and takes up a job in the Cornish port of Poldore. She gets her own cottage, the respect of most of the inhabitants, beautiful scenery and a smelly dog which comes with the cottage. Soon she is forging a new life in the small town with new friends when her past starts to intrude on her present.

I liked Alex - it is great to have a competent main female character doing an unusual job without much comment. The little town (which is the subject of a couple of other novels by the same author) is engaging although perhaps a little far fetched ? Alex's problems, which encroach on her new life, are amusing but cause her real confusion and upset. Her relationship with Ruan progresses in the way that these things normally do in a romance novel. The delight of her character is that she deals with all her issues in a very realistic way and doesn't do anything monumentally stupid - I like a heroine that I can respect.

This book didn't have to be set at Christmas but it does add some extra complications into Alex's story and some extra pressure to resolve her family issues. Everything, as you would expect, ends very satisfactorily.
on 18 December 2013
Just for Christmas really captured the heart and spirit of Cornwall.
It was beautifully written, with great attention to detail and a thrilling story which had twists and turns at every turn of the page.

I fell in love with the characters especially Ruan, and Buoy the dog.

A must read for anyone out looking for a romantic read, to snuggle up with and take you to the heart of Cornwall.

I hope for a sequel or close adaption in the near future - I just need more of poldore!
VINE VOICEon 27 November 2013
I haven't read a book by Scarlett Bailey or Rowan Coleman (her real name) before but I was drawn to this one. The synopsis sounded a little different.

The story follows Alex as she arrives in Poldore to be the new harbour master. The locals are horrified she's a girl. Things are a little complicated, especially the reasons why she has left her home town and the book throws up lots of surprises along the way.

I feel I must point out the story is totally unbelievable but aren't all Christmas books? I still really enjoyed the story and loved the character of Alex. I think my favourite character, by far, was Buoy the dog. I loved how loyal he was and when he saves Alex I felt a bit teary!

I really enjoyed the different aspect of the harbour and I think Bailey does a fantastic job of describing the fictional town of Poldore. As another reviewer said, I could live there! I also liked the addition of the lighthouse and I could really imagine what it was like.

It lost a star as I couldn't stand Marcus and don't understand why Alex would continue to be friends after what he did. He was such a rat!

This is well worth a read, especially at this time of year and I look forward to more by the author.
on 5 January 2014
I loved this book so much, just couldn't put it down.

Alex Munro is a brilliant female lead, so unlike the other female characters that populate other chick lit books. I get so tired of the shallow, vacuous creatures that freak out over spiders, need rescuing by a big strong man, and care far too much about their weight,make up, the right clothes and perfect hair. Alex Munro is not that type of girl. She's strong, fiesty, gets in fights and saves lives. I love her. I love how she wears jumpers and jeans, I love how she genuinely cares about her friends and they care about her.

The male leads were superb too because even the guy you didn't want her to end up with was loveable. Ruan was perfect and I just loved Buoy the dog, a true hero.

The town Scarlett created was just perfect, village gossips, the sense of community and sticking by each other when it counted the most.

The humour was spot on, I laughed out loud on many occasions.

This book had it all for me, a completely flawless read. I've not read any of Scarlett's before, but even though I've just packed away the Christmas tree, I've just downloaded her last Christmas novel too, can't wait to read it
on 16 November 2013
This is the first of Scarletts books that I have read and I'm so pleased to say it won't be my last. I fell in love with Alex, what a character and after exchanging Twitter messages I find I haven't got to say goodbye to her just yet as another instalment is on the "brew".
Brilliant storyline which has made me giggle and laugh out loud and being set in my beloved Cornwall made this book get the 5 star rating it so deserves.
on 29 December 2013
Absolutely loved this book made for the perfect cosy read on a cold winters night! Loved the characters in the book had some laugh out loud moments and some rather thought provoking moments. This is the first book I've read by Scarlett Bailey and I have since ordered her other books as I really enjoyed 'Just for Christmas' so glad I bought this book and discovered a new fave author to add to my list.
on 14 December 2014
Fantastic story. I originally read Secret Santa not realising that was the third story in a trilogy all set in the fictional Cornwall town of Poldore. Secret Santa was fun enough to make me want to read this and the second book called 'Two weddings and a baby.' This first story was really good, so funny and better than Secret Santa. I love it when it isn't just a romantic tale but actually has a lot more going on to keep you interested and this had it in spades. The humour is also a great plus. Would heartily recommend to anyone who enjoys a romance with plenty of laughs along the way. I am very much like Alex who is a bit of a tomboy so I could instantly relate to her. I am now reading the second story which is just as funny. Enjoying the story even thought I am not so keen on the main character called Tamsyn as she is very different to Alex but still really loving the story and the other characters including Alex are given plenty of time during the unfolding story and even Tamsyn is growing on me.
on 25 December 2013
I read this book in one day, just couldn't put it down loved it so much. You'll fall in love with buoy !!!
on 3 December 2013
I really enjoyed this book. Admittedly, I love Christmas books, and I'm drawn in by a pretty cover, but this book gave far much more than the cover suggested.

I have never read a book with so many twists and turns, I could never have predicted the ending.

Such an amazing read!