on 1 October 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It has many of the things that I like and admire within it. A magic system that is new to me and is internally consistent. Characters who aren't just stereotypes but are well realised and have depth. Depth of history, by which I mean that the story references both our own history and twists that to create a subtly different world. Also the story whilst laying down the groundwork for future novels doesn't read like a total info dump.

The plot is a little more than basic in that the hero is cast aside by the organisation from which he belongs and has to save the day without anything more than a little help in the form of a dryad and a fire spider. However that is entirely forgivable. Not every book has to be so convoluted that you have to read most of the series to have a clue as to what is going on. Also I think that there is enough evidence from the author to suggest that this story will become more and more layered as the series develops and I will come back and reread this book and think ahah! that was happening and I didn't spot it.

I will be buying the next in the series.
on 28 November 2014
An inspired whodunnit - and more interestingly a whydunnit - ingenious and fast-paced, delightfully plotted and superbly characterised, this book is especially wonderful for jaundiced, jaded readers (like me), who are desperate to escape from the boring, repetitive and formulaic "fantasy" offerings that publishing houses churn out in droves these days. This book, with its deceptively simple central concept, and clever exploration of how that would pan out for real, totally drew me in in a way that I haven't experienced for a long time and reminded me why I fell in love with this genre in the first place. The internal logic in the author's world is infallible, the humour delights, the story delivers... what more can I say? Jim C. Hines deserves to be ranked up there with the best of the best. Buy and enjoy.
on 31 October 2012
I wasn't sure if i would like this but i did! it was entertaining I thought of it like an american TV series i would definitely watch it if it was. I'm from the uk so i found it very american but that's not bad it added to it. I've no idea where the U.P is though perhaps i should have googled it? I think that's why i thought of it like a TV series, it was like Grimm and that sorta thing :) The characters were likeable and i enjoyed the humour. I hope there is a second! Hopefully it will come out more widely in the UK people are missing out on a good book me thinks.

Oh and i enjoyed the books the author choose to use and the things he pulled out of them :) At first i saw limitations on how this could work but as the book went on it became more understandable, Hines explains things plaining so you completely believe the magic, i think mainly this is because most people who will read this book, absolutely love books.

Give it a try peoples don't be put off by the vampires its not that kinda book!
on 26 August 2016
Have you ever wished you could reach into your favourite books, pull out a ST phaser, a 'variable' sword, even Excalibur ?

Mind you, if readers accidentally retrieve an elf, vampire or were-wolf, they may create a generational problem...

Book 1 of 3, more to come...
on 11 March 2014
I have to say a blurb, for once, was one I can completely agree with. I, too, started with the intention to read a few pages but got hooked until it was getting light outside and I noticed the time was almost 6 a.m. and I was supposed to get up in three hours. I'm not usually big on fantasy but having contemporary surroundings helps. Having an author that so clearly loves books and has corporated literature into the story helps a lot more. Having a historical figure or two as side characters is a very nice touch as well. And Hines definitely knows his audience well as he was very kind to include a bibliography of all the books mentioned in 'Libriomancer' (I am so disappointed that 'Renfield' isn't a real book...).

All in all, really very good. Actually, so good I'm afraid of reading the second book 'Codex Born' in the series in case it falls short of this one. Perhaps I'll go with Hines' goblin series, I hear a certain sparky arachnid is involved in those.
on 3 March 2015
Wasn't sure what to expect from this, but I was intrigued, I mean, who wouldn't want to be able to pull anything from within one of their favourite books? Really enjoyed this original story.
on 1 September 2013
I bought this book as an afterthought and I am pleased I did so.
A fun read, plenty of action and an interesting twist on the Urban Fantasy novel.
If you enjoy the Dresden Files you will probably enjoy this.
I'm looking forward to the next title in the series.
on 12 January 2016
A very engaging read. Reminds me a bit of jasper fforde's Thursday next series. Will defo read the next in the series.
on 18 January 2016
I loved it, a whole new magic explored in a fun filled rollercoaster of a ride. A cracking good read and would recommend it to my friends.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 March 2016
Libriomancer is the first book of the Magic ex Libris series by American author, Jim C. Hines. Isaac Vainio works in a small-town library, spending the day cataloguing books. But Isaac is no ordinary librarian: while he may be forbidden to use magic, he is a Libriomancer, a Porter and member of Die Zwelf Portenaere, founded by none other than Johannes Gutenberg.

A few remnants of his time as an active Libriomancer remain: a rather special black 1973 Triumph convertible, and a fire-spider named Smudge. When a trio of sparklers (vampires of the species Sanguinarius Meyerii) enter the library looking for him, he doesn’t hesitate to reach into the right book for a suitable weapon. But he’s out of practice, so he’s lucky that Lena Greenwood, a dryad of considerable strength and ability, is there to save him (with some assistance from Smudge). And so begins their quest to find and stop whoever is enslaving vampires and killing Porters.

Hines takes the premise of magically extracting objects and creatures from the printed page and runs with it, quite a long way, much to the delight of fantasy fans. His characters are appealing, his plot is clever and original (although it’s a fair bet to say he might have read some Jasper Fforde) and he gives the reader plenty of humour, and not just in the banter between the characters.

Vampire species names are a highlight, although riding a fire-spider, entering trees and a certain moon landing also keep things interesting. Readers who enjoy this style of adventure/fantasy will be pleased there are a further three books (so far) in this series. Great fun!