Format: Hardcover|Change

on 18 May 2013
As always, the contrasting of discworld with roundworld offers lots of useful insight into the way WE think and act. That is how/why the discworld story is set up - unlike the novels in which TP makes such witty comparisons on nearly every page, whether we always spot them or not. This book is about the science and the implicit danger of belief systems that do not accept reasoned presentation of reality as currently understood. And how we all have tendency to such belief systems. I was surprised therefore to NOT see in this book this argument taken forward to global warming, and the inherent danger in allowing this subject to be regarded as one engendering belief or disbelief. The existence of God or otherwise can remain a very personal understanding, but disbelief in the truck that is hurtling toward you will only end badly. Perhaps the basis for Science of Discworld V?
on 5 May 2013
But I always think that in these books. Loved the character of Marjorie Daw and good to see Vetinari getting an outing. The Science part (for me) turned into a bit of a rant. I very much dislike creationist thinking but believe the way to prove them wrong is with the science and not the rants.
on 12 July 2013
I have all the Discworld novels and all the Science of Discworld too, I liked this one least as I found it to be a bit shrill and bordering on condeming those of us with 'incorrect thoughts'
This could have been better.
The Discworld is a series that has captured the minds of millions of readers around the world and with the sciences have taken a back seat to magic, the reader is treated to the explanation of how things function in "Round World" as opposed to the obvious answers that the Disc presents.

Here in this title, the reader gets the treat as Marjorie Daw, Librarian of Round World, finds herself bang in the middle of a religious and philosophical debate and has to make sense of it all. It's cleverly done, it has humour and makes sense of a lot of sense as the cunning brains of Science and Philosophy to the fore. A fun read and whilst you don't have to have read the others to sit back and enjoy, it does help get a fuller flavour.
on 13 June 2015
I love reading popular science book. I've read all the Discworld books. I enjoyed the previous three Science of Discworld books, so I really should have enjoyed reading this. Sadly I didn't.

The thrust of the book is that the authors are strong believers in the power of science and have little time for religion or the religious. Fair enough. Perhaps if there had been some subtlety in the message I think I would have warmed to the book, but by the end I felt I was being bludgeoned with message. I wanted a book about Science but this wasn't it. I wanted to like this book, and I'm sorry to say I couldn't.

A sad end to an otherwise cracking series of books
on 22 August 2015
Nowhere near as well-written or as inventive as the previous 3 books, and the scientific parts repeat a lot of the material in those books. Very disappointing indeed.

Fortunately, the other 3 are brilliant and absolute must-reads.
on 31 May 2013
You may well need a reviving snifter after attempting this.
The science is good but a bit too wordy and self indulgent.
The accompanying story is to little and too thin to lighten the heavy dough of the 'Science'
Just because the man is a genius does not mean that his and allied works should not be fully read and shortened and/or modifying suggestions made to improve the readers experience.
Yes we WILL read all his works and addenda but it would be nice if it were overseen and revised/made tighter and edited for the sake of the reader.
Even Milche Cows should produce quality product not milked to death just for profit.
Sorry not up to Terry's high standard.
Said in sadness not malice.
VINE VOICEon 7 September 2015
A very deep and thought provoking book on Science and a bit on religion.

I read a lot of the reviews about how this was an atheist rant and thought oh well they have gone all Richard Dawkins. I will get around and read it sometime and so I put it on my shelf and read other things. It got to this summer and I had finished all the other Terry Pratchett books as so I just had this one to go. So I decided it was time to read it and to my surprise I found that the reviews had been exagerated.

WhileiIt isn't that light a read although it is a lot easier than Brian Cox's recent efforts. As well as being more accessible than the current BBC science pin-up it is also much more measured and rigorous. The authors take a very cautious approach to presenting the case for atheism and they do not go on banging a drum and shouting in your face like Dawkins or Hitchens. It is all done very gently and politely and what is more they also point out the weaknesses of scientists. They in no way say that Science and religion are enemies and state that many scientists have personal views and perspectives (for example the many worlds nonsense that Cox is so keen on, they also debunk - see also the Quark and the Jaguar by Gell-mann for another rigorous debunking). They are not strident and shouty. They just point out that humans like to think of themselves as the centre of the universe and are very good at making stories to fit this. While the Universe itself pays us very little attention as it goes about its business following rules we keep trying to find, but failing because we fall into the story telling trap every-time. They point out how that is not only religion but dumb science such as the Anthropic Cosmological Principle as well. So give it a read if you want to go to the deepest layers of understanding and try not to tell yourself stories.
on 12 June 2013
I enjoyed the book, but I didn't feel it was as interesting as the first three Science of the Discworld books. This may be because it looks at religion and sometimes the writing seems a bit Dawkins-esque in how hard atheism is pushed, both not very interesting for me.

The structure is the same as other books, alternating Discworld and real world science chapters. I thought that the Discworld chapters weren't as good as in previous books, sometimes they seemed very short and forced.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 June 2015
If you are new to "The Science of Discworld", welcome!
Where have you been?
it's a great series that combines the entertainment of Discworld with interesting stuff about science (from proper scientists) and some truly monumental technical funnies.
Look up "Anthill Inside" if you disbelieve me... . .
It is on a fancy holographic sticker you can put on your computer, and yes, there's one on this computer.
But why an Anthill? For the full answer to that you might have to read "The Science of Discworld" - or do a web search.
For those of you who are familiar with the series (as we are, oh yes!) this is more of the same, well up to standard, highly recommended as always.
Newcomers will almost certainly enjoy the series better if they start at the beginning and work their way up, but if you are motivated to start here for your own reasons, who am I to argue?

Wwritten by an erudite team headed by one of the UK's most successful and respected authors, who is alas no longer with us.
If it's not exactly your thing, why not get one for a friend who needs it?