on 25 August 2015
So far, I have cooked and eaten 11 of the 150 recipes in this book.

Around half the recipes in the book are for steamed puddings, but I bought a 2-pint metal steamer off the internet, and have found steaming to be very straightforward. The rest are an eclectic mix of baked puddings, chilled desserts, things to do with fruit, and the like. The authors are very pro-fruit, particularly locally-sourced fruit such as apples, pears, damsons, gooseberries etc. and incorporate fruit into a good many recipes. Quite a few also involve wine, liqueurs and alcohol (...yummm...) either in the cooking or the serving suggestions, but that can be left out for children and teetotallers.

I have made: Sticky Toffee Pudding, Syrup Sponge, Rice Pudding, Baked Custard, Orange Upside-Down Pudding, Duchess's Pudding (this is really nice!), Bakewell Pudding, Prune and Muscat Pudding (well, I had prunes and port leftover from Christmas....), Butterscotch Tart, Chocolate Mousse, and Christmas Pudding (first time I've made a Christmas pudding from scratch!).

There are some proofreading errors and vague instructions. It doesn't actually mention to put the mousse in the fridge, or how long it takes to set. It doesn't say how long a Christmas pudding takes to mature - I made it on Christmas Eve, and it was nice the next day, but as it took us a week to eat it I could tell it was getting nicer over time. I have doubled the quantities of the rice in the rice pudding because it looked wrong (and that works well!), I am going to lessen the water and double the dates when I redo the sticky toffee pudding, and I have to figure out how to make the orange upside-down pudding taste more of oranges (at Mr Arachne202's request.)

But this is still a very enjoyable book. I am particularly fascinated with the section on "Forgotten Puddings", and will enjoy recreating what would have been served at Downton Abbey. Some of the ingredients are a little obscure - where does a normal person get elderflower from? Or blackberry liqueur? Mostly, however, ingredients have been straightforward enough to find.

So I'm now on a pudding quest to make and eat every recipe in the book. That should only take a few years.....
on 25 November 2012
I cant comment on all the recipies yet, but tried the sticky toffee pudding twice. First time I made it I seriously thought they had made an error with the quantities, and so I reduced the amount of liquid. Pudding was lovely but didnt look like the picture (maybe because I didnt follow the recipe to the T). I emailed the pudding club at about 5pm on a saturday evening and asked if the recipe was correct, they replied the same evening, and yes the quantity was correct.
So I made the sticky toffee again, going against my feelings that it was wrong. The cake mix is very liquid, however the pudding came out very moist and the dark colour it should be.
My reduced liquid pudding was a much lighter cake like pudding, the correct recipe was a proper sticky toffee pudding very moist.

I am cooking the jam and coconut pudding as I type, ummmm cant wait.

I like this book alot, and the fact that The Pudding Club replied so quickly to my email querying their pud was just fantastic.
99 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 September 2015
Fabulous book! Haven't made a pud yet but thoroughly enjoyed reading the recipes and guidance notes in the front.A number of them - such as the Manchester Tart - I remember from my school dinners and am looking forward to our next family dinner to make it. Only minor niggle is that having ordered two of these advertised as new and in good order was disappointed that one of them still had the library label and security tag in the back!
on 15 August 2015
Love this book. Working my way through it and steam the puddings in my Instant Pot. I have to guess the reduction in time and have decided to use half the time of a conventional steam pudding on the hob.
on 20 February 2014
If you like your puddings, old or new recipes then this is the book for you. Well laid out with easy to follow recipes and good photographs of most recipes. Make sure you do not make too many as you may well put on a little bit too much weight!
on 8 December 2014
so glad I have this book, hopefully will pass it on to family members and the great pudding will not become extinct
on 27 December 2016
The best diet book in the world - well no..... but what a wonderful book of the most British of desserts.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 January 2018
yummy
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 March 2013
Everyone who loves sweet things will have heard of the pudding club. This is a great example of their puddings. Some of the pictures look a bit unappealing, but when my partner cooked them, they looked much better in real life and tasted great. This is not a book for someone on a diet!
on 25 August 2013
Being a Long year Pudding Club fan - we have been to the "home" of the club in Mickleton and organize our own Pudding Club every year with friends. I can recommend this book, which I gave to my wife this year. Nice Pictures and recipes. But maybe I am just biased, as I enjoy almost any pudding. Sticky Toffee Pudding is (of course?) the best of them all - especially after after a nice long walk to the top of a "Wainwright" hill :-)