on 6 July 2017
Brilliant. Have already made three of the recipes and all have been great.
on 11 April 2017
Lovely book, highly recommended.
on 10 August 2015
I haven't come across Miranda before but I will definitely look out for more of her books, as this one is a stunner.

Many of the recipes are quite short, easy to follow and make and there are many that I haven't come across before which makes the book all the more tantalising for a baking book collector like me. The font is a tad small and not bold black so anyone with failing eyesight may strain to read the recipes - just be aware of this.

Recipes I have tried are:

Popcorn, Cranberry & Pistachio Pieces (Page 164) - no-bake Heaven!
Flourless Rich Chocolate Almond Cake (Page 28) - yum, yum, yum
3-tiered Lemon Blossom Cake (Page 140) - the lemon curd buttercream makes this cake delish! You could use Orange, Lime or Banana Curd
Frosted Raspberry & Redcurrant Cake (Page 16) - simple to make and tastes superb
Tarte Au Citron Cake (Page 133) - lemon custard baked on top (ooooohhhhh!)
Hazelnut Tiramisu Cake (Page 130) - simply divine
Scrumptious Chocolate Fudge Cake (Page 26) - easy to make than other similar cakes
Pistachio & Dark Chocolate Macron Cake (Page 129) - for pistachio lovers everywhere!
Grindelwald Muesli Cake (Page 19) - my family is Austrian so this replicates almost exactly the cake I grew up eating.
White Chocolate & Lemon Cake (Page 37) - not sickly sweet - very delicate flavour and very Moorish
Speculoos Cake (Page 118) - no, it isn't a typo! It's a spiced cake with cardamom and mixed spice - tantalising
Pear Frangipane Cake (Page 116) - beyond words!!!!
Dark Chocolate & Courgette Loaf with Fudge Icing (Page 102) - anyone wanting to get some veggies into their children, this is the one for you!
Clementine, Honey & Pistachio Loaf (Page 98) - a MUST for pistachio lovers like me

Not all the recipes have a photograph attached (which would have made the book even better, in my view) but that's just a personal choice. As it is, it's a lovely book, well explained and which produces excellent results every time. Would also suit the novice baker or if you want to give it as a present alongside an apron, mixing bowl and wooden spoon in order to inspire someone into starting baking as a hobby.

I'm so glad I bought this book and you will be too.
on 19 September 2014
I have only tried one recipe so far but already I predict that my copy of the book is going to fall open at that page again and again. It was the recipe for Coffee Streusel Loaf, a cake which I know is going to become a permanent fixture in my cake tin. Eaten warm or cold, on its own with morning coffee or as a delicious dessert accompanied by cream or ice cream and maybe a glass of Tia Maria - absolutely delicious.
on 20 February 2015
I really like this book It is well laid out with delicious looking recipes and I think it will quickly become my 'go to' cake book.
on 2 October 2015
Have baked 4 recipes out of this, and am disappointed each time. The blustery banana loaf tasted good, but didn't really rise well. The brown sugar and apple cake was the biggest disaster I have EVER had when baking! It sank in the middle spectacularly! The little gingerbread cakes didn't have a quantity of flour, and when I did eventually make them, they were inferior to the cakes I usually bake. The raisin bread rose beautifully but was rather bland. So I'm not a fan. Buy Mary Berry instead, her recipes work every time!
on 7 September 2014
Great to find a book about cakes that hasn't got the predictable victoria sponge with jam and cream . There is a wonderful selection and variety of recipes such as gooseberry and elderflower sponge which I have made and it was delicious. I cannot understand a previous reviewer's comment that it is uninspiring. How could you not be inspired by recipes such as fig, caramel and mascarpone cake or hazelnut tiramisu cake? As I own a tearoom I buy a lot of baking books so trust me , this one is good! Also I cannot understand the reviewer finding the fact that the cake names were in capital letters a negative and it is not true to say that the list of ingredients and method is clumsy. Buy the book and see for yourself how good it is.
11 Comment| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 March 2015
I've made the 5 minute sticky malt loaf, which turned out great, the heavenly chocolate cake which was so enormous (it looked rediculous stacked in 3 layers) I made it into 2 cakes and gave one away. But now I've started noticing errors, Here in France Speculoos are all the rage and looked forward to making the recipe headed Speculoos Cake on page 118 for a party I was attending..... only it isn't a Speculoos cake, the ingredients are for a chocolate & cardamom type cake. I've looked through the whole book and can't find Speculoos listed in any ingredients.
Worst of all, I wanted to make the Simple Little Gingerbread Cakes on page 58, but there is no flour listed in the ingredients. I emailed Miranda Gore Browne, then her publisher Edbury Press, I even wrote a message on Miranda's Facebook page to ask for the type & quantity of flour and after 3 weeks no one has bothered to reply. So..... not sure how much faith I have in this book anymore.
review image
44 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 September 2014
I have never bothered to review a book before but having received this book this afternoon I must write to say what a wonderful book it is. Obviously I have not had time to cook anything yet and am rather concerned for my waistline as the recipes look fascinating Whilst I can see that more photos would be helpful that would almost certainly make the book cost at least double its present price. So I must disagree with the first review and say this looks just as promising as her biscuit book. The pudding cake chapter looks particularly enticing. I have a vast array of baking books and this book contains lots of recipes which are new to me. I am very pleased with the purchase.
Update
I have now made the flourless chocolate almond cake. I undercooked it slightly so it did not look as immaculate as the photograph but it tasted delicious. My daughter(aged15) also made it successfully last week. The white chocolate and lemon cake was also wonderful
on 18 September 2014
A great mix of recipes. Nothing too challenging so would make a great first baking book and have recommended it to several friends. The salty dog brownie recipe is our new family favourite cake.