Format: Hardcover|Change

on 25 April 2012
Miranda caught my eye on the first series of the Great British Bake Off with two things, first her chocolate cake with decorative buttons...AND her beautiful iced biscuits, they were so delicate and such lovely works of pure baking art far too pretty to eat!

Her first book 'Biscuit' is full of recipes for all kinds of biscuits, everyday biscuits, special occasion biscuits, biscuits that are rolled, biscuits that are scooped, or pressed, savoury biscuits, fruity biscuits, plain biscuits, brownie biscuits, sweetie biscuits (biscuits with sweets in or on them). Its a bit of everything from the plain to the unusual and all biscuit inspired!

The recipes are clearly laid out and easy to follow, there are not a lot of photographs in this book but it does not seem to affect the desire to want to bake from it once you look through it. I like the fact its a personal book with lots of endearing descriptions of children and family favourite recipes and short personal illustrations of the significance of some recipes that have been baked for generations.

The chapters are divided up into easy (for beginners) and more complicated recipes. Tips and advice and variations to recipes are in there too.

I have made one batch of biscuits from the book so far the sledging biscuits (the name grabbed my attention) and they came out really well and disappeared in a couple of days.

I like the fact that this is a book about biscuits, not cookies biscuits are a very British tradition and we don't really have a lot of good modern recipe books about biscuits, as we are cookie led by the American market primarily.

its a welcome addition to my recipe book collection.

If you do buy this book you will find this invaluable for making same sized biscuits like Miranda. Kuhn Rikon Small Baking and Ice Cream Scoop, 1 Tablespoon, Red
on 17 April 2012
I got this book last week and have so far made two of the recipes... the vanilla bisuits which I then iced with my children, and the Marmite Morsels (which looked nothing like the photo but were gobbled up in about three minutes). I am by no means a master baker (as my family will readily attest), but I found the recipes really easy to follow and the resulting biscuits were delicious (even if I say so myself!).

The book itself is packed with beautiful photos and lovely chat from the author. There are so many amazing looking recipes- I cannot WAIT to make the rolo biscuits. This book could be bad news for my waistline...
on 21 December 2012
This book contains some fantastic recipes, as other people have already stated. I am enjoying working my way through them and trying them out to see which is a favourite. However, several of the recipes are simply wrong! Ingredients are listed but the recipe does not tell you when to add them! The orange and sultana shrewsburys are lovely but it was guesswork when to mix in the sultanas as there is no mention of adding them at all. I do wish publishers would do a better job of proofreading cookery books - it would seem absolutely vital to know how much to add and when to add it!
Apart from this complaint, a lovely book and I would recommend it - as long as you're willing to do a little bit of guesswork along the way...!
on 2 December 2012
I chose this book because of the wide choice of recipes, and especially because it's one of the very few books that has any savoury biscuit recipes. There's a lot about this book that I love, but ...

On the plus side:
- it's beautifully produced and engagingly written
- some of the recipes are really good and I'll definitely make them again, eg the seriously seedy biscuits, the cheese and marmite biscuits

On the minus side:
- some of the recipes just didn't work, eg the parmesan biscotti. The figgy rolls were ok, but not as good as I'd hoped.

It's so disappointing when you spend a lot of time (as well as the cost of the ingredients), and it's all been wasted.

But I'm glad I bought the book, for the sake of the recipes that do work.
on 8 July 2012
This looked such a delicious collection but I tried two recipes from this book and found both to be inaccurate.One recipe asked for double the sugar and the other didn't mentioned when to add an ingredient, and the oven temperature was too hot. This seems to indicate that no one checked the recipes as most good books require. Frankly I'd rather use old-fashioned but totally reliable Delia Smith!
Amazon refunded my fee with no problems.
on 27 July 2012
I love cookbooks. I have lots. My favorites stay with me for ever. I'm always on the lookout for the next great book. Having heard Miranda Gore Browne on the radio, and lacking a decent biscuit book, I thought I'd try it.

First disappointment: An "erratum" note floated out, covering the gluten-free credentials of FIVE recipes. That probably qualifies as "errata". I don't have an allergy myself and I wouldn't take a recipe's word for it, but this seems to be something that should have been handled much better by the editor/publisher.

Second disappointment: Only about one in three recipes has a picture. I bought the print version because I want pictures, the blurb tells us how the author has a name for beautiful presentation. The book is not cheap. So why so few pictures? It is the pictures that inspire me, not the story of the book.

I've given the book three stars to be fair, as I haven't tried any recipes yet. They will need to be outstandingly good, or this book will be flying fast to the charity pile, with the "erratum" note firmly sellotaped to the cover.
on 29 March 2013
Bought this as an addition to my ever growing collection of baking books - have tried my first recipe today and there was an error in it - no mention in the method of when to add an ingredient - and after looking at other reviews this isn't the only error. Surely someone got paid for proof reading it??
on 5 June 2012
I put only 4 stars because I tested 3 recipes and already found one which obviously has a mistake in it. Lemon drizzlers, excellent, colleagues and friends loved them, I was asked for the recipe several times. Strawberry ricotta, very nice, colleagues enjoyed them as well. Today I tried the Bakewell biscuits, and catastrophe, they turned out very flat, very hard, very sweet, and not very edible. The recipe calls for 125 g of butter to be creamed with 250 g of caster sugar and 125 g of brown sugar. I did think the proportions were strange, but the other recipes had worked so well, I trusted the book. Shouldn't have. I find it very annoying to spend time making something and then having to throw it away.

Apart from that, the book is very attractive, I don't feel that Miranda is talking down to the reader at all, the tone of the book is warm and friendly, and it makes you want to try a lot of recipes. It would have been nice to have a photo of each biscuit, but you can picture what they are like by skimming the recipe, and they each have a nice introduction by Miranda. Very nice book, shame that not all recipes were properly checked.
on 26 April 2012
This is a lovely book and it makes a change as it's a bit smaller than those huge cookery books that are difficult to handle. It's not small, but is more compact and all the better for it. The photographs are great as are the recipes and I am looking forward to Miranda's next one!!!!As usual it was delivered effortlessly by Amazon Prime.
on 5 September 2013
I have owned a LOT of bakery books in my time and I have to say, its very hard to find one based on biscuits full stop, let alone one that is for practical everyday biscuits for families, rather than perfectly iced showy concoctions!
My children and I have completed three of the recipes so far and all have turned out fantastically and gone down a treat!
One note though: there are errors, for example the Fat Apple Rascal recipe calls for an ounce of sugar, one quick look up on google told me how much that should be but, still a little niggle about whether its right!
I think I have found in this book a rare thing, a bakery book that I will probably attempt 50% or more of the recipes, and whats more, one that I feel is simple enough for me to be able to accomplish that quite easily!