Format: Hardcover|Change

Elspeth Dunn is a published poet living on the Isle of Skye, and she receives her first fan letter from Davey Graham, a young man over in Illinois. The form of a letter means that they do not need to worry about appearances or expectations, and so over the course of many letters back and forth, Elspeth and Davey pour out their hopes, dreams and fears – things that they have never told a soul. But as World War I engulfs Europe and Davey becomes involved, Elspeth waits on Skye, anxious for his return and wondering if they’ll ever get a chance to meet…

I became completely swept up in this wonderful novel. The story is written purely through letters and although I initially thought that this might be hard to get into, but it flowed beautifully and with ease and I was soon captivated by the letters between Elspeth and Davey. I really liked that we were able to read the novel in this way, I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know then through their letters and I really felt like I understood everything about them this way – it felt like I knew all their thoughts and feelings and their most personal hopes for life and for each other. The letters touched me on so many levels, I laughed with Elspeth and Davey, I felt for them and I even cried too, I felt SUCH an emotional connection with both of them.

I think the form of letters is definitely one of the strengths of the book, with this Jessica has created a beautiful and meaningful depth to the characters and their personal entwined story together.

The Isle of Skye sounds beautiful, I could really picture it in my mind through the descriptions from the letters, and I found myself wanting to travel there. I must admit that over the course of the book I fell in love with letter writing, and I’m now very keen to start writing letters again.

Letters From Skye is a truly touching and powerful novel that moved me in so many ways. It is captivating, romantic and a true gem of a story. A must read book.
on 16 July 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. As soon as I read the blurb, I couldn't wait to delve in and I wasn't disappointed. In epistolary format, the book spans generations from WWI through to WWII. I'm a fan of war novels - I'm not sure why, so this book really appealed to me. I love stories told through the medium of letters. Reading letters feels beautifully voyeuristic and allows real insight into the characters, offering a depth not there in more traditional storytelling. From the first fan letter David sends to young poet Elspeth, through their blossoming friendship, Brockmole manages to perfectly capture their romance. I really like the characters of Elspeth and David, finding myself completely invested in their love story. Where this book really excels however, is with its descriptions which are perfectly written.

This book makes me a little nostalgic for the lost art of letter writing. I would much rather receive a carefully thought out, hand written letter than a typo ridden text any day.

I give Letters from Skye 4/5.
on 14 August 2015
This is beautiful, just beautiful. It moved me to tears, the writing is excellent and never once did I skip a page or flip through to see where it was going especially as it's a very unusual format; written in letter form from one character to another. I have been to Skye many times and live close by so could picture the setting perfectly but without that, as the author is so adept in her descriptions of the island, I feel anyone would be able to see the home of "Sue" perfectly. It captured the essence of two lonely souls meeting by chance in such an unsettling period; between the wars and there was almost magic at work with this as I felt as if I was there, with them as they struggled with their long distance relationship, expressing their fears and concerns for loved ones but never doubting their commitment to each other despite the distance between them. Oh I could have continued with this story for another 200 pages, so captivated as I was with it all. I hope this author has plans to write another as I would love to see what she plans for her next adventure. Recommended, highly, it's a grand story to be sure!
on 28 December 2015
This started off quite well & was an ok read with rather a lot of suspension of disbelief required at times. The letters premis was interesting, although it seemed to be written in a "shorthand style" on detail that did very little to enhance the story.
I do think the ending did seem a little rushed & contrived.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Opposites attract. I'm a Belgian novelist who writes very dark, tense and shocking novels on the crossroads between literature and the crime novel. Pegasus Books published "Baudelaire's Revenge" this year in the US. I'm 61 and at the end of my 'career' (not the immediate end, I hope) but I always wanted to write a novel where love conquers in the end, but time and time again my protagonists are destroyed by other emotions - greed, lust,sollipsism etc. - that corrupt their ability to love. Jessica Brockmole has done what I dreamed off: she has written an utterly touching love story bridging the years between WW1 and WW2, evoking the power of hope, illustrating that our deepest feelings do not degrade through time. The fact that Brockmole chose to tell her story in letters add to the emotional force of the tale. The reader connects immediately with the characters. The backdrop of war(s) deepens the lyrical love story. I confess (but keep it secret): now and then tears came into my eyes. Such a heart-warming, gentle saga with characters you want to have close to you. Oh, and before I forget: a vivid rendering of the natural beauty of the Scottisch Island Skye....
This interesting story takes us between two continents and two world wars and is told exclusively in the form of letters between the main characters. At first I found this a little disconcerting as the time sequences flutter around, but once I understood the general idea of the story, I became involved with what was happening. Primarily, the book unfolds a love story but at the same time it also captures the somewhat hedonistic attitude of living and loving during war time.

I'm not a huge fan of epistolary style novels, and I think had the book been just about one time frame, then the exclusivity of the correspondence could have become rather two dimensional. However, for me, the inclusion of a later story certainly saved the day and helped to keep the mystery alive, and in a way kept me turning the pages, although if I'm honest I would have preferred a straightforward narrative.

For me the real star of the story is the island of Skye itself, which is captured beautifully.
on 29 May 2016
I'd have felt more "truth" if the author had expressed more difference in idiom of her main characters – Elspeth, a poet (and homebody) on Skye and David, a rather unwilling college student (in midwest America). I was conscious the whole book through, that all their letters were written by the same person!
on 3 May 2016
This page turning book telling a romance by letters must have been fun to write. Caught up in a story between two pen pals who became lovers keeps you turning the pages to see how it all ends. A good read for anyone who enjoys a good romance.
on 20 October 2014
I took this book on holiday with me, initially I was disappointed to find that the story consisted of letters between four people. Then I couldn't stop reading, I had to find out more as the story, which felt so real, unfolded. Now at the end I'm sorry it has finished.
on 31 December 2015
I'm writing about the audible version - a story that kept me held in time as I drove 2000 miles to Poland and back to visit the family for Christmas. I'm a hard core sci-fi buff - and it certainly suprised my wife how touched I was by this book. Beautiful. I lived a lifetime hearing the letters between Davey & Elspeth, I wish there could be a sequel but there never will be.
A wonderful story and a priviledge to know