Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop now Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

The Twelve Tribes of Hattie
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 17 February 2013
A work of art. Beautiful, devastating, poetic. I already want to read it again...the first reading left me so hungry to find out what would happen that I couldn't fully appreciate the incredible resonant imagery.
on 1 February 2013
This is the story of a very young black mother and her large family,living in the most dire circumstances.She has an unsupportive husband,little money and squalid housing,yet she gives them everything that she can to send them out into the world. She doesn't always get it right and we read about the development of her children as they step out into their adult life.
I have not read such a powerfully written story in a long while,wonderfully portrayed characters and superb plotting.
In my opinion this is a winner from start to finish and I highly recommend this book as one of my best reads.
on 27 August 2015
Wonderful story keeps you hooked from the start, the characters and people are so real, you feel and know them and slow down towards the end so as not to end this wonderful reading experience, a treasure.
on 27 September 2015
I really liked this book it left me wanting more. Each character seem to stop abruptly, I want know about them, what happened next. . I loved her writing style. There has to be a sequel, to this book.
on 23 November 2013
Epic story of black Americans of the last century who made a brave choice leaving the sunny South moving to cold North looking for happiness and fair chance in life!
on 17 March 2013
Generally good though perhaps a little disjointed at times which may loose your attention. Overall worth reading as the foundation of the story is interesting.
on 8 November 2013
I found this book really emotional . Full of humanity and strong feelings . I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys reading about people and their lives.
on 31 July 2014
Well this was a gift which I bought for my friends daughter and I'm not sure what review to offer. Amazon should set up an option to account for that.
on 24 September 2014
A good enough read for a summer holiday, the life and times of Hattie and her children. If you want a not too taxing read, this is it.
on 12 February 2013
Loved the way each chapter concentrated on an individual character. Very believable .Would recommend, a good read.
buy it now !