Jerusalem
Format: Board book|Change

on 24 May 2017
Probably the best cookbook I ever used. Every recipe comes good if followed as is. Takes a few days to get the ingredients but that's the fun part and most found in World Food section at ASDA believe it or not. The rest order from Ottolenghi's website or online via Amazon. If entertaining your guests will travel with the food you make. My diet changed, I'm not only healthier but I have developed a profound love for Middle-Eastern culture from this cookbook. In our times worth having to celebrate the beauty of this marvelous melting pot so conflicted in the news. Ottolengi's Mediterranean Feast on Channel 4 website will communicate his passion. Watch it and drool!
on 25 February 2016
I bought this book mainly for the hummus recipe-which is the best recipe for hummus I have come across. I make hummus two or three times a week, so I can highly recommend this particular recipe-the secret ingredient for perfect hummus is the bicarbonate of soda. The book is full of other very good recipes aswell, some of which I have tried with much success. Very good descriptions and easy to follow instructions, accompanied with lovely photos and interesting histories of the Palestinian and Israeli food traditions.
on 23 October 2012
Readers views may differ from mine but for me this is the best production so far by Yotam and Sami. It is a beautifully produced book with excellent photography. Yotam and Sami share with you their love of their native city. This gives the book a far greater insight into the food of the city than can a writer that simply visits to gather information for a book. They show how the food of their city relates to the cultural melting pot that is found there. Even if its recipes are not used, the book makes pleasant relaxing fireside reading for any lover of food and culture.

As far a recipes go, like most from Yotam they have a formidable list of ingredients, but this should not present a problem for anyone that has a well stocked spice rack and access to fresh herbs. After all, recipes are a guide and can be adapted according to what is available both as regards ingredients and facilities just as a skilled conductor can adapt an orchestral score to suit the instruments available and the ability of his players. The resulting food is one to share with friends and family around the table but might be out of place at a pretentious formal dinner party.
on 1 May 2017
I borrowed this book from the library to try out some of the recipes before buying the book. I would say that I will use most of the recipes in this book unlike the ones in many other cookbooks I already own. The recipes can involve some time in preparing the ingredients but it is worth the effort! The resulting dishes are fantastic.
on 3 April 2014
I don't normally read the introductions and prefaces in cookbooks, I generally like to head straight for the photographs and work backwards, however I got drawn into the background of the origins of this book and I have to say it has added a new dimension to my approach to enjoying its content. Yotam draws on the wealth of Jerusalems diverse cultural food heritage and wraps it all up into a melange, rich in colour, texture and form, which is both beautifully written and photographed. I love the idea that good food is a unifying factor and a cause for good across different cultures, and whilst none of us are that naive to think that this book will stop all the factious problems in the region it does a great job trying. Fantastic and exciting food recipes from fascinating part of the world.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 August 2016
The book is nicely covered as a cloth hardback (don't really see that nowadays)! The recipes in the book are typical ottolenghi - tasty but with some slightly more unusual ingredients. There's a fair amount of vegetarian food which looks inviting and tasty (being a meat-eater). Not yet tried many of the recipes but the ones I have are quite good.
on 25 November 2012
I bought this for a present but couldn't resist a look inside and the recipes look so good that I'm hoping to find a copy for me under the Christmas tree. The dishes are very varied, and although the combination of sweet and sour isn't one I normally like there are enough dishes there that really appealed to me to make me want a copy. There are wonderful illustrations of the food scene in Jerusalem, and it tied in with a fascinating television programme I saw recently about Yotam Ottolenghi's visit there - that alone made me want to go and eat at some of the places he visited. Most of the ingredients would be readily available - perhaps the odd thing might be harder to find if you don't have easy access to ethnic suppliers but it shouldn't stop anyone cooking from the book.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 December 2017
Although I have yet to test out any of the recipes, they sound absolutely fantastic and not really that complicated. I would buy this book even if I were not able to cook as, when reading through it, one is transported to warmer climes and reminded of summer holidays. Just the ticket for dark winter evenings.
on 9 December 2017
Beautiful book. The recipes are not peculiar to Jerusalem, but are mostly typical of the cooking of the Eastern Mediterranean (Turkey, Lebanon, Syria and, to a lesser extent, Egypt).
on 7 February 2016
What a shame - it's gorgeous! You can enjoy it in so many other ways - the beautiful photos and writing are a joy to read. The recipes are delicious - the guy's a genius, and you will taste new experiences. I bought this as a birthday present for a friend - on the basis you should sometimes just buy whatever you'd like for yourself. No regrets - they loved it.