Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 21 December 2014
Very good book, if you love pastry this is an ideal book.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 June 2012
This is an excellent introduction to pastry-making by an enthusiastic chef/cook who has helped many of us get back into bread-making with his inspiring books (Dough: Simple Contemporary Breads [With DVD]) By Bertinet, Richard (Author) Hardcover on 01-Oct-2005 and the more adventurous Crust: Bread to Get Your Teeth into. As with these two earlier books the photos in Pastry make you want to get cooking. The sequences of photos showing what your pastries should look like at different stages will be very useful to novices perhaps wary of making pastry. It's not difficult if you follow a few simple rules, take you time and weigh ingredients accurately.
My only negative comment is that quite a few photos show pastry that to my eyes look over-fired, but this may be something to do with the colour balance of the photos.
on 24 March 2017
Could be better for this price
on 25 September 2012
I spent two days with Richard in a class at his cookery school in Bath and just prior to that I bought his book Pastry. I can now make beautiful pastry with little effort. Richard has taught me how to make the crispiest & flakiest pastry ever with no soggy bottoms! His techniques are simple yet effective. For years I have read cookery books and watched endless programmes of top chefs and cooks supposedly telling you how to make the best pastry. Richard informs you of the best butter to use, how to soften it without getting it warm, how to flake into the flour (and no you don't rub it until it dissapears and forms tiny breadcrumbs like most chefs tell you to do!) I like his down to earth approach and he makes things seem so easy, which they are! The book is full of tips and useful information, together with beautiful pictures (and one for every recipe which is great to see what the finished product should look like). My creations look exactly the same as the photos in his book. The doughnuts are divine. The apple tarts are amazing. The fruit tartlets look like they should be in a French pattiserie window! Buy this book and you'll never be afraid of making pastry. I recommend his cookery classes but the book itself teaches everything you need to know.
on 7 May 2012
As soon as this book arrived I just had to dive in. Who wouldn't with a picture of a 'milly filly' about to be eaten on the front cover. My husband looked over my shoulder as I oohed and aahed at all the glorious photos. He put in his order straight away - an almond tart (Amandine) and pear tartlets (Pear bourdaloue). Let me assure you they tasted as good as they looked.

I already have Richard Bertinet's three other cook books, which are all inspirational and have recipes that even a moderatley good cook (whoops 'baker') can follow with ease and this book is no exception. He starts the book explaing how to make salted (shortcrust pastry for savoury dishes) and sweet pastry followed by puff and choux pastry. The rest of the book is devoted to mouth watering dishes using these pastries that are within the capabilities of anybody interested in baking. You can make pies, tarts and pastries to equal any you see lining the shelves of french patisseries. Go on, have a go and I'll be surprised if you're not as smitten with this book as I am.
on 25 November 2014
A good book with recipes, photo's and good ideas but the detail is not enough. I figured this would provide me with in detail information about how I can acheive good flaky pastry but it doesn't, so Im quite dissappointed.
on 27 May 2013
I have found this book to be really useful. It has photographs of each key stage of the recipe which are very helpful. The strawberry tart recipe is a particular favourite. Well worth the money
on 31 March 2013
I enjoy baking and purchased this book to help refine my skills, I'm about half way through now and every recipe has given me a clearer insight into how to improve my technique.
on 1 January 2013
Pastry by Richard Bertinet is probably the best book on pastry I have seen, and I have seen most. It covers all types of pastry and gives recipes for all the gateaus, quiches, tarts etc. that I know of and quiet a few new ones, all explained ina very straightforwrd and easy to follow manner. Highly recommended.
on 7 January 2015
There are not enough starts to rate this beauty. It is a magnificent read with the most comprehensive and concise instructions I have ever seen so far. I am a keen cook and have approximately 800 cookbooks. This is in a class of it own. Not only are the instructions extremely clear and detailed, where need be, there are quality pictures too. There are a fantastic mix of recipes for both novice and experienced bakers, I can't wait to get started!

It's worth every penny-just buy it and you will see for yourself.