Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 August 2004
This is a beautifully written autobiography about a blind woman's relationship and dependance on her chocolate labrador. A really feel good novel involving a fight for independence, romance and eventually a struggle to regain sight.
One of the most moving books i have read this year.
on 7 June 2012
This is the beautifully written story of Sheila who sadly goes completely blind at a very young age. AS the years go by Sheila is offered the chance to own a Guide Dog named Emma - a beautiful chocolate brown lab. This is their story!
Before Emma came along Sheilas life was so hard, a life of blackness, uncertainty and of finding her way around a dark world. Emma comes along and changes that. THese guide dogs are amazing and total transform a visually impaired persons life. Emma takes Sheila everywhere and the love and trust they have for each other is remarkable. A life long bond.

I absolutely loved reading this one - i couldnt put it down. Its amazing how clever these trained are and shows what a powerful change they have on visually impaired people. Wonderful story 10/10. I want to get the others now!
on 28 May 2012
Absolutely charming and thought provoking autobiography about a blind woman and how she copes in a sighted world. Her reliance on her chocolate Labrador is really moving and her descriptions of how they are trained fascinating. Have your tissues ready at the end.
on 12 June 2002
The story is about a lady (Shelia Hocken) who is blind, and she ends up having to get a dog (Emma) to help gain independance. This story explains what it is like to be blind, having a blind dog and living with it and falling in love. I cryed for a long time when I read the book. I didn't cry because I felt sorry for her but because the story touched my heart in a way that not many have. Would really recommend reading Emma and I.
on 23 January 2004
Emma and I was easily the BEST book I have ever read. The stories of Sheila and Emma, her chocolate Labrador are touching, amusing and inspirational. Of course I cried at the end. Emma and I moved me in a way no other book has.
on 4 January 2014
I read this book many years ago but it's one that has stayed in my mind, it made quite an impression on me. I've actually read it twice as I enjoyed it so much. It is about a woman who has a hereditary sight problem and eventually her sight gets so bad that she needs to get a guide dog. This is a marvellous book about Sheila's early years then about her meeting Emma her guide dog, training together, their life together and eventually meeting her husband. There are many lovely photos included in the book.
on 8 February 2015
What an inspiring story...really makes you put your life into perspective. I have always admired the work of guide dogs and Sheila's description of the help Emma gave her was absolutely outstanding. Such a devoted and loyal companion.
on 28 April 2013
For once a book which is just simply a pleasure to read and doesn't end with the dog dying. It isn't a demanding read but is informative - it's interesting to learn about the world from the perspective of a blind person and of course much more than that with the introduction of the wonderful Emma. Emma brings freedom, joy and of course great love into Sheila Hocken's life and amusement too. Not only an extraordinarily intelligent dog but one with a zest for life and a great personality. I particularly loved the bus stop episode which I will leave the reader to discover - both amazing and very funny! I would wholeheartedly recommend this to any dog lover and perhaps some dog haters might benefit from a view of the intelligence and personality of the creature who truly is, man's best friend.
My favourite book (as I am visually impaired) which I have lent to so many people.
When I realised that someone hadn't returned it, my heart sank, not expecting it
to be still on the market.
But - hurrah - it was, and I have just finished re-reading it again, laughing out loud
at Sheila's mishaps and Emma's capers. It was also lovely to have an addendum
filling the reader in about what has happened to Emma, Sheila et al since the book
had been written. Heartwarming and encouraging to all those who grumble at
little niggles!
Arrived within three days.
on 24 September 2014
I first read this book years ago. I enjoyed it so much then that I really wanted to revisit this old friend.
I would recommend this book to anyone whether they are a dog lover or not, a great deal of different aspects to this book make it unforgettable and a huge pleasure to read. Sheila is an amazing person and you feel you know her through this book as she puts you by her skill of writing exactly in her shoes.
A wonderful treasure of a book.