Customer reviews

on 16 May 2012
I saw the Fibber in the Heat stage show in Norwich in early 2011 and it was a brilliantly entertaining evening. When I found out Miles Jupp was publishing it as a book I eagerly awaited the arrival of my copy from Amazon. It doesn't disappoint and the book was every bit as good as the show. I loved the passage about the touts Meaty Man 1 & Meaty Man 2 outside the Oval in 2005 and Miles description of sharing hotel bar drinks with England legends Botham, Gower & Hussain. There's also a lovely rich seam of self-deprecation running throughout, particularly the references to Archie the Inventor.

All in all it's a delightful book written by a cricket fan for cricket fans who ever wondered what it would be like to live out their fantasy of watching cricket and getting paid for it, nearly!
on 8 January 2013
Miles Jupp has written a brilliant account of his adventures as a would be journalist following the English cricket tour of India. His encounters with the press corps and his heroes like David Gower and Nasser Hussain make very amusing reading and give you a good insight into the everyday workings of a cricket journalist. His accounts of trying to fit into the competitive gang of the press are both extremely funny and rather awkward like a new boy at school. His account of his long running battle to obtain a valid press pass is enough reason to buy this book alone. I am like Miles a great cricket fan and this is one of the best books I have read conveying the love of the game and telling a very good story both funny and poignant.
on 26 May 2015
Miles comes across as a bit of an ass frankly. It all sounds rip roaringly good fun and in the early stages of this book you are cheering Jupp on as his fumbles his way between test venues but ultimately I tired of the fact he repeatedly could not remember the name of his own hotel or indeed which direction the cricket ground is located, both of which scenarios served to stifle Mile's attempts to cover cricket for the Western Gazette. I read it on holiday and i left it in the hotel..... I cannot remember the name of the establishment though.
on 30 January 2018
A mild case of lack of foresight that could be mistaken for brazen, boldness bordering on the delusional. Any evidence for this is quickly dispelled by Jupp's gentle, self-effacing humorous humility.
More of a constant smile inducing read than a belly laugh per page. I imagine Jupp's converses much like he writes; a natural storyteller with a uniquely funny story to tell.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Very English, the affectionate descriptions of India and its people chime with other books I have read by people who have spent time there. Journos, players of both nationalities (current and ex) mainly appear to be a decent bunch and the author clearly looks back on these events with fondness. I found the book very entertaining if a little slow to get gong, several genuine laugh out loud moments including (I am ashamed to say) probably the funniest description of an episode of diarrhoea ever written.... It does help, I am sure, if you are a cricket fan and possibly also if you enjoy scatological humour!
on 6 January 2013
I came across this book firstly in paperback and dipped in at various points. Enjoyed it so much that I decided to take the plunge on my Kindle. It turned out to be well worth it! What a mixture of events in a thoroughly warm hearted story. I love cricket but am not good at playing it so could identify with the 'second-hand' way of experiencing the game in the way that Miles Jupp attempted. The story (undoubtably true with slight poetic variations?) was not just all about cricket but also gave a flavour of the background life to this 'adventure'. Thank you Miles, loved every minute of it!
on 18 June 2015
This is a great read for all ordinary cricket fans. A fascinating insight into the behind the scenes life of a cricket journalist. It's a "Boys Own" tale and an adventure we all think we would love to take. Although, reading some of more graphic parts of the book, I'll be happy to keep on watching cricket from the comfort of my sofa.
on 12 April 2017
As a fellow cricket fan I found this an genuinely fascinating read. You often wonder what the life of a cricket journalist would be like - Jupp lifts the lid on life on tour and is brilliantly funny while doing so.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 October 2014
This is a very enjoyable book made all the better by being read by the author himself in his customary affable style. Some passages are laugh out loud whilst others are terribly poignant, the author being ignored by the other journalists in the hotel bar being a particular example. By the way, cricketing journalists as a whole don't come out of this book terribly well although Jupp makes the very valid point that their job isn't the cakewalk that we and indeed he thought it was. Whilst the book will be of interest to any sports fan, or anyone interested in India, some of the cricket reportage, facts and figures will only mean something to an aficionado so this book might not appeal to all but is recommended nevertheless.
on 6 October 2015
This book is very enjoyable. I enjoyed Miles' humorous tone throughout the book as well as his passion for cricket which really came across well. It was reading the early chapters of this book that spurred me to get a last minute ticket for the last day of the 2013 ashes series.

The humorous antics Miles got up to made for enjoyable reading and I found it hard not to waste my lunch breaks on this book. I also lent the book to 3 family members who all enjoyed it.

If you like Cricket, travel or especially both, I would recommend this book and then some.