Customer reviews

The Reckoning: (Maeve Kerrigan 2)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 December 2016
I am absolutely loving this series - it's now a rare thing that I find a detective series already waiting for me that I haven't already read. But I am really enjoying DC Maeve Kerrigan and all her supporting cast so much that I will be going straight on to the third book in the series as soon as I have finished this review!

If you like character-driven books then this is for you. Maeve is a DC in London, struggling with all the sexism within the police. Her Superintendent, Godley, is still on her side, but she has a new boss, DI Derwent, who treats her like a bimbo. Then there's a stunningly beautiful new female colleague, who she suspects is after her not-boyfriend; and the horrid DC Belcott needs a bigger slap than he did in the first book in the series (I advise you read it first!) The Burning. She has also moved house and has some rather strange neighbours who make for a couple of dubiously hilarious evenings.

With all this going on the team is trying to find whoever is acting as vigilante towards sex-offenders, released from prison. The story has more layers added as it goes along and I found the whole thing unputdownable. Narrated mainly by Maeve and occasionally by DC Rob Langdon, it zips along at a cracking pace adding missing girls and long-standing grudges into the mix. I don't want to say too much about Maeve's personal life as it would be spoilery, but you'll find yourself rooting for her big time.
3 people found this helpful
on 11 August 2011
Not as good as Casey's first book (The Missing) but better, I think, than her second (The Burning) which introduced Maeve Kerrigan. Other reviewers here have already discussed the plot in detail so I won't repeat that. This will appeal to readers who like to get to know the personal side of their police investigators, and who enjoy character development rather than just a to-the-point plot.

I have to say I haven't warmed to Maeve herself: she seems oh-so-predictable to me with her Irish temper, 'feminist' independence, and her snarky reponse to her male colleagues. That said, I really like Rob, her on-off lover, and loved DI Josh Derwent with his complex mix of macho-sexism and old-fashioned, if blunt, integrity.

Some of the plotting feels a bit well-worn: internet grooming, gruesome murders, a Hercule Poirot type trick to uncover the spy in the police team and a ludicrously *massive* coincidence that was flagged a mile off... but that is offset by a narrative with enough twists and turns and some genuine emotion to keep it all buoyant.

Casey writes easily so that everything keeps flowing. There is a slight hiccup where she suddenly has to switch narrators for two chapters and doesn't manage to distinguish the narrators' voices in any way. But despite its flaws this is an easy to read page-turner.
on 29 December 2017
The second part of maeve is much like the first hellishly long chapters that will leave you wanting more a dark gripping story line with ongoing love affair I recommend this to any crime drama fan
One person found this helpful
on 17 December 2014
I am really enjoying the maeve Kerrigan series. having bought one of the maeve Kerrigan books when it was on offer I then went on to buy book 1 as that's the only way you can understand this complicated detective. very interesting story lines. im currently on book 4. buy the series and you will not be disappointed.
on 27 March 2018
enjoy this writer. i have a few writers i always go back to and Jane Casey is one of them
on 28 October 2017
Jane Casey always writes page turners this one no exception
One person found this helpful
on 18 March 2016
Seriously good, on several levels. The plotting tight as ever, the story maybe a little meatier and the clash of personalities ever-fascinating. And some lovely metaphors.
on 11 March 2018
A book with a great collection of well conceived characters, a storyline that keeps the reader tucked into the pages. Worthy of five stars.
on 20 January 2018
Absolutely loving this . Believable characters, good plot & really well written. Highly recommend this series. Can't wait to start on No 3.
on 24 December 2016
good
|0Comment|Report abuse