1,044
Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 January 2017
Not bad. I enjoyed it overall but it is reflective of the 90's ladette culture which I was a little old for and the emphasis on being drunk most of the time and lots of sexual partners is wearisome and a little sad. Shame, because the commentary on the partiarchical state is informative and thought provoking. I initially bought it for my teen daughter, but I really can't let her read it.
on 25 June 2017
We read this for book club and it got a mixed reception. I enjoyed it, more so the second half than the first. I found the first few chapters incredibly crass and wearisome but once I got that out of the way she has some very interesting points to make.

This is not a manual or a guide. It's more a reflection of a quirky life where she has attempted to do what "normal" women do to make themselves be acceptable to society... and finds that this leaves her confused and dissatisfied so she carves her own niche that suits her. This is something that completely relate to.
on 14 April 2016
Laugh out loud (or indeed, snort out loud, spurting out coffee / wine) funny but insightful and touching too. Honestly, if you haven't read this, you're just not doing it right... Or you are but it's so good to see how right you've been all along even when you thought you were wrong / the only one..
on 7 May 2017
This book needs to be read by every mother. You then need to buy it for your teenager. There is a massive amount of wisdom and attitude in this book. It will teach (you and) your daughter to respect herself . It will teach your son to respect the women in his life.
on 31 March 2017
Interesting reading. Especially the first part of the book is brilliant and really funny. Some memorable stories about 70s from a feminist point of view
on 9 November 2015
Loathed this booked. I couldn't get through it. The writer really really annoyed me and I had to chuck it in the bin! Obviously I'm in the minority as several of my friends recommended it.
on 6 December 2012
I've never read any of her stuff before and it started off great, funny, touching, irreverent but it kind of descended into a pit of a place I didn't want to go... The chapter on abortion was just a chapter too much for me, deeply sad, very upsetting and not required.
on 19 April 2017
Totally hilarious.
Agree with others that majority of the shouty caps-locks are unnecessary. She's such a fantastic writer, she needn't rely at all on formatting.
on 27 April 2017
Not to my taste!
on 3 January 2017
Absolute garbage. Save your money and AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE.