on 23 September 2011
This book was one of the most enjoyable I have read in many a moon.

It traces her life and career starting from the post-war growing up as the youngest of six children in a council cottage in the Vale of White Horse, Berkshire. From there it moves on to schooling and subsequent joining the Women's Royal Air Force and her posting to Singapore and Germany, where she blossomed. Her description of watching a camelion changing colour is magical.

From there it moves on to her subsequent jobs and the events that led up to her winning the tacky "Opportunity Knocks" talent show, with its slimy host Hughie Green and the dreaded "clap-o-meter" measuring device, so stops around 1975.

The title refers to the number she was knocked down during her life and told she "did not have the necessary aptitude" to succeed. The story is told with much humour, as you might expect, and is very touching in parts.

Call me an old softie, but I thought the book was brilliant.
on 28 August 2017
I am told it's very good, it was a present for my friend
on 17 August 2017
I'm a fan great read
on 11 December 2016
It's Christmas give
on 20 May 2015
Lovely gentle, nostalgic, humourous read. Book in good condition too. If you were a child just before or after the Second World War, this will resonate with you particularly.
on 12 August 2014
My mum loved this, as Pam Ayers was a big star in the 70's. For the right person this is a good gift.
on 1 January 2014
A lovely book, well written and with just the sort of humour one would expect from such a witty lady. Given her humble background, what she has achieved is truly inspirational.
on 20 September 2011
Absolutely fascinating! You have seen Pam Ayres over 30 years on TV now and it was time to get to know her a bit more and find out about her upbringing in the post war England, her careers and her social life. Beautifully written and highly entertaining.
on 27 October 2011
A good laugh from page one.Pam writes the way she speaks!!!I laughed out aloud.I cannot wait for the next one.A good book for the ladies to curl up with , with a cuppa.
on 18 December 2013
This title was our book group choice for December.

We liked this book's honesty and how Pam's family life, her search for a career and her relationships with friends and lovers is chronicled with a hefty and healthy dash of realism, a sometimes harsh dollop of judgement but always with an underlying seam of tenderness and warmth. Personally, I felt I learnt a lot about life in the years after the War and we particularly marveled at how different our lives as mothers are from Pam's mother's life.

I also relished the humility with which Pam reported her increasing success as a performer. As a bit of a literary snob, I can't categorise her work as 'poetry' but I do appreciate its wit, charm and cleverness. Watching clips of her performing on YouTube, her passion and enjoyment in what she does is very evident and her performances reveal the obvious generosity of her spirit.

The book fell short for us, however, because of its tendency to overload the reader with detail upon detail which, with all due respect, don't impact too significantly on the overall 'story' of the book. I'm thinking in particular of the duck landing on the feeding table outside the flat window! We also wanted more humour. Having been led to believe it would be a roar-a-minute, its elegiac tone and its somewhat weighty prose style does rather dull the impish glint of delight we know Pam usually has in her eye!

Overall, it was a good read, one I'm glad I persevered with.