on 18 February 2017
Excellent book. As descibed
on 15 December 2016
What happened, she used to be so funny.
on 28 August 2017
I love anything by Pam Ayres...this book included.
on 1 November 2017
Not quite so good as The Works but my residents in the home have really enjoyed listening to me read thanks
on 29 September 2014
good book would recommend it
on 9 December 2013
Excellent read.
First class delivery.
on 23 October 2017
Loved it
on 7 October 2013
This is a great book. I read it swiftly because it was just so readable. As well as poems there are a few sketches, my favourite being one called `The Leather Trousers' which has a beautiful use of the word appendage. Some of the sketches reminded me of Victoria Wood's work, they are about the kind of people we all know, the people we could find ourselves queuing behind in the supermarket. Ayres takes the ordinary and elevates it with her wonderful descriptions or quirky way of seeing it. There was also more serious work, for instance the touching and bleak poem `Count Me Out', about how elderly people may feel. I recommend following her on twitter - @PamAyres - you'll get all the excitement of seeing her tea cosies and her dog hiding in the jam-jar cupboard (surely worth venturing into the modern world for if you're not familiar with Twitter).
I'm lending this book to my Mum now I've read it. It's enjoyable by multiple generations because it's clever and compassionate. I find Pam Ayres inspiring and even wrote my own wedding poem in a style similar to hers.
on 15 November 2013
It was the poem about the little dog on Page 96 that made me buy it. It reduced me to tears because we have a little dog that fits the bill (not dead thank goodness). I saw a write up in the Telegraph and that is what made me immediately buy the book. Just wish I could contact Pam Ayres to say how much I loved it.
on 9 December 2013
Not bought for myself , but as a gift it was well accepted. I have been told it is up to her usual standard.