Customer reviews

Brilliant
on 7 February 2016
Excellent
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Never mind "Romeo and the Pirate's Daughter" - this is "Will Shakespeare and the Italian tightrope dancer's daughter" - the story of Will and Ann (not Hathaway) his exotic dark lady.

Febrile nonsense - Will and Ann as kids making up rhyming couplets as they swing about the country on his big horse. Will as hero rescuing Ann from attempted rape. "My hero" she thinks. "I can't take much more of this" I think.

Ann, a modern woman in a "Tudor" world, moves easily between the classes, throwing on boy's clothing and encouraging her tussie-mussie selling mates to do so as well so they can pop over to Southwark and flog a few cushions to Henshawe, rub shoulders with Kit Marlowe and then another day live it up with the Earl of Southampton, completely at ease in his milieu.

Show - don't tell - "I am related through my mother to the Ardens who own a big park, seventeen miles away". "This was just like the situation in that play what Will wrote last year - "Much Ado" I think it was called".

Awful writing, unconvincing plot which basically shoves Ann as the unseen hand into every event we know of in Shakespeare's adult life, unengaging protagonists. Give it a miss.

If you want a good book about William Shakespeare, Will Will is at least well written
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Oh dear. I hate to write a bad review of a book but I really struggled to get to the end of this book. I'm going to do my best to be balanced. On the plus side the author has managed to string together a reasonable story. On the down side - where to begin? The author has clearly done some research but she seems to be so pleased with this newfound knowledge that she forces it into the mouths of her characters in a way that jars - particularly in reference to the plays - lines from which she uses in the mouth of the main character in such a clumsy way I nearly threw the book in the bin. The entire narrative arc is ridiculously pat - the meetings and events that occur throughout (I won't detail them - I don't want to spoil it for you if this is your cup of tea) are far fetched in the extreme. I won't go on any more - in my opinion this is utterly awful writing - if you enjoy historical fiction / romance I would point you to Anya Seaton or even Jean Plaidy rather than this tripe. Sorry.
33 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have had this novel waiting to be read and reviewed for the Vine programme for a long time now. A few times, I have picked it up, began reading it, only to then put it to one side again. This, for me, is quite rare. Once I finish a book, I take some time to choose the next one I am going to fall into, and that choice will depend on what I have read before, what I am in the mood for. But, with SHAKESPEARE'S MISTRESS, I found myself finding it difficult to commit.
Researching a novel, especially a historical one is essential, but there is a fine line between good research and flat writing. I personally feel that SHAKESPEARE'S MISTRESS came across a little flat for me. As another reviewer has said, the quotes from Shakespeare's works seem a little strained here, rather than flowing naturally. Ultimately, the plot was not convincing enough, for me, to keep me reading to the end.
Unfortunately, this is not a book I would recommend.
VINE VOICEon 17 December 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Unfortunately for me, this book suffered from trying to push a lot of historical exposition into the narrative. It's a delicate balance when writing historical fiction; you need to impart relevant facts and information in a way that still flows with the story. They shouldn't feel forced or superfluous. Unfortunately I didn't feel like this novel found the balance, despite an interesting subject matter. It's jarring and intrrupts the flow of the narrative, so for that reason I didn't get very far with it.
on 10 May 2017
I really enjoyed this book, I thought it would be something decent enough to read on my work breaks but without being too good to spoil reading at Work! But it was a really good read, I think it's the type of book that crosses over well for the modern reader wanting to go into the past but still keeping modern ideas such as female independance, it might not appeal to anyone wanting something historically accurate and completely realistic but it's a really enjoyable read if you want something that bridges modern day and historical fiction.