on 20 February 2012
I've known Naomi for a little while now and was initially drawn to her and her work because she has a genuine gift when it comes to working with children and that is what makes Naomi and her new book, The Parent's Toolkit unique.

The book is accessible, easy to read and filled with suggestions and insight which young children themselves would feel were spot on when it comes to the way they wish to be treated and communicated with. Observations like 'take time out to really listen to your children' and 'use the right words to frame your support and suggestions nicely and effectively' are just a couple of the things Naomi mentions in her book. Simple things, which often go overlooked when facing the mountain that is parenting a little person.

The Parent's Toolkit should be given huge kudos for being what it is: a highly intelligent, beautifully written book that will actually help you prevent any long term damage to your children and most probably make your children love you just that little bit more, whilst allowing them to grow into who they are going to be.
on 11 March 2012
I am a working mum, often working long hours and every minute with my daughter is precious. My daughter stopped talking to about her problems and fears and I could sense that she was not happy. I struggled to pin point the problem as she would not talk about it. Her behaviour started to deteriorate and I was desperate to find help to get our relationship back on track and improve the communication. I know she did not need a psychologist, we just needed practical advice and guidance to help ourselves.

I found Naomi's book! It was easy to read and I finished it the evening I bought it. The book helped me identify and see where things went wrong in our relationship. It helped me to challenge myself and reflect on the way I behave and interact on a day to day basis with my daughter, using open questions, 'penny dropping moments' I called it! The reflective questions were followed up with easy practical tools to help you to deal with issues/situations constantly coming up for children today. It is not the kind of book that you pick up, read and then you have all the answers. No, it is a reference book, you want to constantly refer back to it. Make sure that you buy or get a notepad to go with the book as you will get a lot more out of the book if you use Noami's advice from the start!

Within a week of reading the book and using the practical tools, my relationship with my daughter has significantly improved. My home is calm and peaceful again! We are still working on our relationship but I feel confident that we would be able to communicate and deal with any presenting situation backed up by Naomi's book as a reference as and when we need it. Thank you for a great book Naomi!! I also want to thank you for helping me restoring the communication between me and my daughter and for saving our relationship!

I want to recommend this book to all parents.
on 17 February 2012
I've been hoping someone would write a book like this for years which focuses on what parents can actually do in understandable steps, that is positive and productive to support their child through life's ups and downs. Underpinning the book is the timeless coaching principle of " Ask' instead of ' Tell" Naomi uses this, and other simple and effective coaching techniques to enable children ( and their parents) to find the answers themselves. How great is that? How brilliant for the self esteem of children, and their parents trying to help them. We all relate to stories, so Naomi's use of case studies brings out her points, and the delightful successes she achieves with the children she coaches. A gem for any parent interested in supporting their child to resolve their own dilemmas, or to explore their potential. Judy from Parenting People.
on 2 February 2012
The Parent's Toolkit is wonderfully easy to read and it would be surprising if it ended up gathering dust by the side of your bed as I think it will be in constant use!
Naomi Richards offers simple parent led techniques that helps parents engage children to allow them to feel better about themselves. It focuses on building a connective relationship with the children based on listening and talking from problems such as the toxic friend through to managing anger. Enabling our children to be resilient and cope with failure is key to confidence and future success and the "Toolkit" is a wonderful resource to do just that."

Elaine Halligan The Parent Practice
on 7 May 2012
Naomi Richard's book is excellent. User-friendly, practical advice from an expert in
childhood coaching. The chapters are clearly and informatively laid out with
numerous case studies to clarify the issues raised. It is rare that a book
about childhood issues is so convincingly written. Naomi Richards is unquestionably
an expert in her field and all parents who have young children will benefit
from having this wonderful resource in their library.
on 14 April 2012
Naomi's parenting toolkit is fab - it's packed with simple and effective ways of helping our children and in turn helping us deal with whatever challenges us in parenting. The real life examples throughout the book help show how the techniques can help and how to put them into practice. There are also fab ideas boxes with handy suggestions for activities that you can try yourself.

What I like best about the book is the fact that the parenting advice is written from the perspective of understanding our children better and helping them to find solutions to things. This is a book that you can dip in and out of and use whenever you're looking for ideas or new ways of dealing with things at home. As a mum of 3, I know I'm going to find this useful for years to come...
on 24 April 2012
I bought this book to help with all three of our children, who are all very different! And toolkit it certainly is! A fantastic book to have by my side to refer to and read in quiet moments. It is so full of common sense, so many points that make me think 'Of Course!' but hadn't quite worked out myself! I LOVE it - and don't say that lightly! So much to read and take in but think children (and I!) are reaping benefits already.

I can't recommend this book highly enough! Written with humour, wonderful examples and a great deal of thought, this is one of the few parenting books that every parent should have .. A very happy family is now even happier. We are more balanced, relaxed and calmer about homework, siblings and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
on 14 September 2013
Disappointing. Looking for help for a shy, slightly insecure child I was put off by the words 'I am going to focus on those children who like a challenge'. OK not helpful. Similarly she says 'encourage your child to have lots of friends rather than one best friend'. OK not so much help regarding how, with a child who doesn't like a challenge.
Most of what she says is common sense, along the lines of 'if you want to make friends ask people about themselves'. The book is thin and covers and awful lot in very little detail.
You can learn most of this from reading mummy blogs on the internet. Save your money.
on 6 February 2012
The tone of this book is warm, practical, down to earth and makes a lot of sense. I recommend it.
on 29 April 2012
I absolutely love how usable this book is.

Naomi has a knack of bringing clarity and simplicity to those issues that cause us headaches and heartaches as parents.

Rather than an academic or expert perspective, she gives us insight from a child's perspective.

Her emphasis refreshing: encourage and equip our children (rather than control/shelter) to deal with life's issues and be THEIR best (rather than our own definition!) and her style is simple, practical and straightforward. I even read some of it together with my six year old son, and he chose which tool he wanted to try.

An incredibly useful resource that I will be dipping into again and again.