on 16 December 2017
Great book
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 17 March 2010
I love this book. It has great, quirky, illustrations and all the British classics you could want. I am sick of everyone raving about foreign food as if GB is some culinary dive. Yes, Thai, Italian and so forth are lovely now and again but tasty British grub has its place too. Smack your lips over Devilled Kidneys and Fish and Chips. Veggies are more than catered for with Mararoni Cheese and Mushroom Pie. Being biased, I was pleased to see Wales well represented with Glamorgan Sausages, Welsh Rarebit and Cawl. Those with a sweet tooth can indulge it with Carrot Cake and Victoria Sponge. What I particularly liked about the book is that recipes for suggested accompaniments are included - so you get great, fool-proof, jams, chutneys and sauces. Not only that, but the book gives suggestions on how to store things and how long they can be kept.
This would make a great gift for a foody friend. Better still, keep it for yourself and pass off that home-made beetroot relish and strawberry jam as your Grandma's secret recipes!
on 30 October 2010
I brought this book back in March as soon as it was published as I admire the restaurant Canteen and its menu of hearty British grub that is wholesome and comforting.

Seven months on and I am pleased to say that I am irrefutably delighted with this book as it is jam-packed with recipes that should be cooked and savoured.

The book is split into six key chapters;
Chapter 1 Breakfast and all Day
Chapter 2 Starters, Small dishes and Soups
Chapter 3 Mains, Pies, Stews, Roasts and Grills and Fish
Chapter 4 Puddings and Desserts
Chapter 5 Cakes and Biscuits
Chapter 6 Basics and Misc

What I like about this book is that it is down to earth and none of the recipes are difficult to follow and the end result is always flavoursome and filling. The recipes that I love are too many to mention here but my weakness has always been for roast dinners and puddings like treacle tart with clotted cream, yum yum :-).
on 23 March 2010
What a wonderful book! I love the size and the format.... very stylish with an element of wit. I have eaten at Canteen many times since it opened in Spitalfields and have always wondered how to make the delicious treacle tart. I made it last week and it turned out very well indeed. The recipe was easy to follow and the end result a triumph. I have read it from cover to cover and ear marked the recipes I plan to try out.
on 2 March 2010
Having eaten at Canteen many times, I couldn't wait to get my hands on this book and I can honestly say it's been well worth the wait. If you're a fan of simple honest food with a no nonsense approach then this is a book for you. All the British classics are given the love and care they truly deserve in easy to follow and well written recipes. The book itself is a lovely object - robust, beautifully designed, beautifully bound and a pleasure to use.
on 31 January 2011
I really like this cookbook. I first love the way it styled as an old cookbook. It covers a lot of the basics for British cooking so it's good for someone like me who isn't British and hasn't made fish and chips from scratch before. I love the mac n' cheese served in the restaurant and can't wait to make my own at home.
on 26 March 2010
As an Italian in London I was fortunate to attend a primary school that served really good traditional British food. Then there was a chasm in my culinary life as very few restaurants and pubs served good British food, reverting more often to Italian or even Asian menus.
Then came along Canteen and put things right again. Now whenever I can,I eat there, but on the days I am at home with Radio 4 can return to cook some of those old favourites myself, a reminder of those halcyon days of childhood.
Well done Canteen for a simple, elegant book celebrating all the great things about Britain and it's glorious food we had nearly forgotten.
on 14 June 2012
This is a very attractive book. However, I found the content very disappointing. Most of the recipies are extremely basic and really don't warrant an inclusion in a recipe book. Many sound a bit like this: "Ingredients: some meat and some potatoes. Instructions: Cook the meat in a pan then boil the potatoes. Eat." They even have a 'recipe' for a ploughmans lunch which basically tells you to arrange some cheese and salad on a plate...and then eat it. That, along with a load of promotional fodder about the Canteen chain made me really think that whoever produced this book is really taking the Michael. Don't waste your money.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 March 2010
We love Canteen but live too far away to go often. The book is beautiful with its unusual format and quirky pictures, unlike any other recipe book I have - recipe book meets coffee table book. Recipes are well written and easy to follow. We are looking forward to working our way through this book full of our favourites at home (until a Bristol branch is opened).
on 4 April 2010
I have to say this is brilliant. If you have never been to Canteen but love good, British food then this is the book for you. The recipes are straightforward and non-complicsted to follow. The results are wonderful and its nostalgia value is priceless. I have bought three for presents so far and have all been really well received. Its a breath of fresh air!