on 27 May 2017
Dr Atkins research has been vindicated over the last twenty years. I bought this copy as my old one had been loaned out and never returned. More recent research is proving that good fats play a very important part in our overall health, that includes our heart and brain. See the studies on drug resistant epilepsy. Since an accident and major surgery I have gained weight and sowill go back to basics again, it worked for me before when I gained weight after giving up smoking and I had great health and fitness for years.
on 15 June 2017
A very dull read. Too long winded for me. No illustrations or pictures.
on 8 March 2017
Very pleased with book, am finding it very helpful to know more about this way of eating.
on 5 March 2017
Excellent
on 8 March 2017
Lots of info
on 4 January 2015
A refresh of the original book that I purchased many years ago. Atkins is the best low carb diet, it works and this book explains why and how which you really need to understand to make Atkins work for you.
on 22 August 2013
It has new sections dealing with soya products -which I appreciate. It is a nice addition to my collection of Atkins books.
on 24 July 2016
I write this from the viewpoint of a type 2 diabetic. The Atkins diet worked well for me 12 years ago and I lost weight, my blood sugar stabilized to near normal values, and my cholesterol actually went down.
The New Atkins is very similar to the original Atkins, the main exception being that in the new version proteins are limited to recommended quantities and you can't blissfully gorge yourself on steaks and duck to the same extent as you did in Old Atkins.
This time I have again lost a great deal of weight, again my blood sugar is again nearly in the normal range, but now my cholesterol has skyrocketed to 8.5. WTF! This after eating the same foods I ate on the first pass of the diet 12 years ago - so do bodies change over time in this respect? Does the progression of diabetes affect the cholesterol metabolism? While not a disciple of the Great Cholesterol Lowering Purge as advocated by the NHS and other institutions, I must draw the line somewhere and 8.5 is well into red line of hypercholestol.
One can expect severe energy shortages during phase 1 - especially during physical exercise - but the recommended multivit, CoQ10 and Omega oil supplements seem to offset this to a significant extent. So even as a fan of Atkins, I must question the long-term validity of any diet that requires the input of external vitamins.
So for diabetics, in the long term, Atkins will do wonders to your blood sugars. I was able to stop taking one of my 3 meds and my readings are 5.0-6.5 at any time, before or after meals, and my Hb1ac is 48. So while Atkins has reduced one coronary risk factor to a low level, it has raised another.
This will require some delicate balancing to get right and once I have achieved my target weigh (4kg to go) I will investigate some alternative diets designed for diabetics.
The jury is out on this...
on 20 April 2013
ok if you are prepared to change whole diet and way of life and want too really lose weight but be prepared for some wind
on 24 November 2015
Kindle version: none of the tables are legible... The photos were so badly taken that the tables turn in portrait or landscape format. Plus all images are fuzzy. Of course impossible to print/save them as PDFs either. They are essential to follow the diet properly... Also: have searched high and low for a recommended net carb app in the book: none to be found. I would have happily raised these issues with the authors rather than a public negative review, guess what: impossible to find a link to them anywhere. And I did search.