on 4 August 2017
Lots of info
on 31 July 2017
Good reading
on 22 August 2013
It has new sections dealing with soya products -which I appreciate. It is a nice addition to my collection of Atkins books.
on 24 July 2016
I write this from the viewpoint of a type 2 diabetic. The Atkins diet worked well for me 12 years ago and I lost weight, my blood sugar stabilized to near normal values, and my cholesterol actually went down.
The New Atkins is very similar to the original Atkins, the main exception being that in the new version proteins are limited to recommended quantities and you can't blissfully gorge yourself on steaks and duck to the same extent as you did in Old Atkins.
This time I have again lost a great deal of weight, again my blood sugar is again nearly in the normal range, but now my cholesterol has skyrocketed to 8.5. WTF! This after eating the same foods I ate on the first pass of the diet 12 years ago - so do bodies change over time in this respect? Does the progression of diabetes affect the cholesterol metabolism? While not a disciple of the Great Cholesterol Lowering Purge as advocated by the NHS and other institutions, I must draw the line somewhere and 8.5 is well into red line of hypercholestol.
One can expect severe energy shortages during phase 1 - especially during physical exercise - but the recommended multivit, CoQ10 and Omega oil supplements seem to offset this to a significant extent. So even as a fan of Atkins, I must question the long-term validity of any diet that requires the input of external vitamins.
So for diabetics, in the long term, Atkins will do wonders to your blood sugars. I was able to stop taking one of my 3 meds and my readings are 5.0-6.5 at any time, before or after meals, and my Hb1ac is 48. So while Atkins has reduced one coronary risk factor to a low level, it has raised another.
This will require some delicate balancing to get right and once I have achieved my target weigh (4kg to go) I will investigate some alternative diets designed for diabetics.
The jury is out on this...
on 20 April 2013
ok if you are prepared to change whole diet and way of life and want too really lose weight but be prepared for some wind
on 24 November 2015
Kindle version: none of the tables are legible... The photos were so badly taken that the tables turn in portrait or landscape format. Plus all images are fuzzy. Of course impossible to print/save them as PDFs either. They are essential to follow the diet properly... Also: have searched high and low for a recommended net carb app in the book: none to be found. I would have happily raised these issues with the authors rather than a public negative review, guess what: impossible to find a link to them anywhere. And I did search.
on 16 May 2010
After trying original book many years ago, very interested in the new approach. For someone starting for the first time the first chapters look at the medical aspects etc, which I found very heavy.

Then you get onto the actual method of eating (diet) which is very similar but now a wider range of vegetables etc are allowed which make the whole concept more enjoyable.

After three weeks lost 16 lbs so very impressive.

Comments: The Diet chapters could be simplified with easier , visual aspects, I ended up typing out relevant info.

The carb element of vegetables does really surprise you, once in the swing it is very simple, you don't get hunger pangs, and start enjoying this new way of eating.

You need to be a person who likes protein though. Overall really pleased with diet and I am sure this will change my way of eating for the future. Good Luck, and your in for some surprises on your weight loss ( do use the scales to weigh rather than guess)
11 Comment| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 September 2010
I found this book totally comprehensive and more importantly effective!!!
i am not into diets or fads and the Science/background at the beginning explains how this diet works and believe me it has worked!
Totall impressed excellent value!!