• Silk

Customer reviews

Silk
Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 March 2012
loved this book just what a fun trashy read should be , plus not all the women are nice, unlike some of the other books of the genre , the dialogue actually made me laugh at times . And the sex scenes are sexy and dirty . Mind you Rupert does write as james lear too , so that explains it .
on 19 June 2012
Filled with twists and turns. Good how the characters all link up. Well written anfd the characters are believable. Recommended
on 15 August 2009
Self-indulgence pocket money well spent. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Fast paced, pointily observed, engagingly written and a frisky escape from the misery of a post-holiday commute. Lots of well plotted twisty turns and an ending hinting at more to come. A winning card is that while set in a frothy plot, Mr James' characters are recognisable and believable, suggesting he knows the milieux about which he writes fairly closely, and he has a proper insight into his characters' preoccupations. One to keep an eye on.
on 7 September 2009
I looked forward so much to reading this book and have to say I'm really disappointed. The characters are improbable and behave in unlikely ways. The relationships described in it just don't make much sense. It's very formulaic, as if he had said 'OK, I'll put this one with that one and then, let's see, I can put him with her and oh, I know, after I write about those encounters, then I'll swop them around and write about that'. And it happens again and again until you become confused with just who is with whom and why. He's tried to add a bit of interest by making some of the connections same-sex and another featuring a wide age gap. It could have been a good book, but I didn't think it was very enjoyable at all. I got through it to the end, but it was a bit of a struggle, and left me wondering why I'd bothered to buy it in the first place.
on 4 August 2009
Silk is a rollicking ride of a novel that explores the loves and loses of three dynamic women. This book is deeply pleasurable, wickedly-indulgent and utterly engrossing.

Christine is a fearsome barrister who believes she's moved past any desire for romantic trysts until she meets a handsome personal trainer. When her goal of becoming appointed to the Queen's Counsel and "taking silk" turns out to be more difficult than she anticipated, it's time to dig her nails in and show how determined she really is and make some tough decisions.

Her beautiful daughter Isabelle is an ambitious designer convinced she belongs in the venerable halls of high fashion and that her name will soon be associated with the most famous labels in haute couture. However, romantic entanglements with her sexually-ambiguous business partner Will threaten to trip her up on the way to the top.

Victoria is the mistress of rich greedy Massimo Rivelli. Although she's conscious of how vulnerable she is to being replaced by someone younger and losing the privileged lifestyle Rivelli has introduced her to, her love for him clouds her judgement. But everyone underestimates how determined this glamorous girl really is.

These women are crafty and strong-willed, but not without heart. Silk is full of richly detailed characters and locations, cleverly woven plot lines and contains enough twists and turns to keep you reading it compulsively till the end. James is a talented writer who creates compelling characters that feel immediate and real.

Try reading it while lounging by the pool in your southern French holiday gite while sipping a cool glass of rosé. But, even if you have to read it while on a gloomy commuter train like I did, the luxurious pleasure of Silk will certainly make you feel like you are reading it in a more glamorous location.
on 8 October 2010
I loved this big bold ballsy book. Full of fashion glamour and intriguing legal and illegal drama. It was very 1980's with shared lovers, immense riches and all those toyboys. I loved it! very 'Jackie Collins' but quite a bit more london. Brilliant and utterly addictive - perfect for winter evenings or by the beach.
on 18 March 2010
I'm a huge fan of this kind of glossy, glitzy, glamorous fiction from the bonkbuster hey day of the 80s to the newer writers like Tasmina Perry and more blockbuster writers like Penny Vincenzi. SILK made me think of the books I'd loved as a teenager but it has a fantastic modern twist.

It's very sexy but it's also a cut above the average bonkbuster also has lots of great characters, a completely grippping plot and lashings of revenge. I devoured this in one sitting and can't wait to read Rupert James's next novel. If you like Tasmina Perry you'll love this.
on 25 July 2010
i dont usually read these kinds of books , im more a murder mystery , who done it kind of person . this was given to me as a present and all i can say is it was absolutely fantastic . not a boring page in this book from start to finish . so much so i have pre ordered step sisters and cant wait .
on 18 August 2010
When i first got this book it took me a while to get into it but when you were half way into it i found it so hard to put it down.This was my first book by this writer and i cant wait to get another one
on 2 January 2010
I had great expectations of 'Silk'; I expected a glamorous bonkbuster in the tradition of Tasmina Perry, whose work I adore. However, I was sadly disappointed. All the characters in this novel are severely unlikeable and nasty, especially Isabelle, and there seems to be no plot whatsoever - 'Silk' is just long and too boring for words. Don't waste your money on this one, it will leave a nasty taste in your mouth.